Help for English

Soutěž o encyklopedii Davida Crystala

Komentáře k článku: Soutěž o encyklopedii Davida Crystala

audiobboks

(librivox.org)

This is a great website where you can download plenty of audiobooks by various writers who are in the public domain i.e. are no longer subjected to the copyright.

From what I have listened to I can recommend for example The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, books by Jack London or Cretien de Troy´s Lancelot, the Knight of the Cart

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od ramonis vložený před 13 lety

audiobboks

(librivox.org)

This is a great website where you can download plenty of audiobooks by various writers who are in the public domain i.e. are no longer subjected to the copyright.

From what I have listened to I can recommend for example The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, books by Jack London or Cretien de Troy´s Lancelot, the Knight of the Cart

Re: audiobboks

Tohle není zcela to, co jsem měl na mysli. Měla to být zajímavost O ANGLICKÉM JAZYKU. Jako např. jak je to starý jazyk, odkud pochází, jak se vyvinulo nějaké slovo, jaké je nejdelší slovo, jaké je nejčastější slovo, jaké je nejčastější písmeno atd atd.

Protože jsi první, můžeš napsat ještě jeden, bude se pak počítat ten.

To je zase nápad!

Až teď mi došlo, že se to píše do komentářů, jdu se pídit.
Proboha, a jak to budete losovat? To je mi novinka a já si říkala, že je čas. Tahle kniha by se v mé knihovničce líbila :-D

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Marek Vít vložený před 13 lety

Re: audiobboks

Tohle není zcela to, co jsem měl na mysli. Měla to být zajímavost O ANGLICKÉM JAZYKU. Jako např. jak je to starý jazyk, odkud pochází, jak se vyvinulo nějaké slovo, jaké je nejdelší slovo, jaké je nejčastější slovo, jaké je nejčastější písmeno atd atd.

Protože jsi první, můžeš napsat ještě jeden, bude se pak počítat ten.

Re: Re: audiobboks

Jo aha, já jsem to právě moc nepochopil.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od georgia vložený před 13 lety

To je zase nápad!

Až teď mi došlo, že se to píše do komentářů, jdu se pídit.
Proboha, a jak to budete losovat? To je mi novinka a já si říkala, že je čas. Tahle kniha by se v mé knihovničce líbila :-D

Re: To je zase nápad!

Viděl jsem jí. Je fakt moc krásná.

There are some words in English that are pretty old. Can you guess how old?

Take a deep breath…well…the oldest words in English are said to be......14000 y­ears old!!!

Experts say their roots are in pre-Indo-European language group called Nostratic, which means „our language“.

There are for example
„apple“ (apal)
„bad“ (bad)
„gold“ (gol)
„tin“ (tin)
among these words.

I have found it quite interesting. Have you ?

(allfunandgames.ca)
(Alan Russell (ed.), 1988 Guinness Book of World Records (Sterling Publishing Co. Inc., New York, N.Y., 1987)

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od orim vložený před 13 lety

There are some words in English that are pretty old. Can you guess how old?

Take a deep breath…well…the oldest words in English are said to be......14000 y­ears old!!!

Experts say their roots are in pre-Indo-European language group called Nostratic, which means „our language“.

There are for example
„apple“ (apal)
„bad“ (bad)
„gold“ (gol)
„tin“ (tin)
among these words.

I have found it quite interesting. Have you ?

(allfunandgames.ca)
(Alan Russell (ed.), 1988 Guinness Book of World Records (Sterling Publishing Co. Inc., New York, N.Y., 1987)

Re:

Well done. :-)
Něco takového jsem měl na mysli. Může to samozřejmě být i kratší.

The longest word

Pneumonoultra­microscopicsi­licovolcanoco­niosis is the longest English word. Or at least the longest word in the Oxford English Dictionary. (antimoon.com)

Scrabble Words – no vowels

Did you know that (according to the third edition of The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary) there are 20 valid words containing no vowels? :shock: :-D
For example:
SH – used to urge silence
HMM – expressing thought
TSKTSK – to utter a scolding exclamation
BRRR – used to indicate coldness
CRWTH – ancient stringed musical instrument
PHPFT – expressing mild anger or annoyance

(source: boardgames.abou­t.com)

Soft Power

SOFT POWER

There is an interesting word I have recently come acros listening to BBC podcasts. I sort of became interested in it and I dug out more information about it for you.

Nye was the one who coined this term. It is used as an atribute for a country with an economical and international influence.

As I understand it, the soft power is the ability of a country to make the impact through peaceful cultural or perhaps economical attraction as opposed to hard power which is more about coercing and military activity.

China has recently been seriously threteaning the U.S. as the number one soft power in the world.
China is technologically very fast developing and showing the world that the future belongs to this Asian country.

you can find more information at (international­.ucla.edu/arti­cle.asp?paren­tid=34734)

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od katchenkaa vložený před 13 lety

Scrabble Words – no vowels

Did you know that (according to the third edition of The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary) there are 20 valid words containing no vowels? :shock: :-D
For example:
SH – used to urge silence
HMM – expressing thought
TSKTSK – to utter a scolding exclamation
BRRR – used to indicate coldness
CRWTH – ancient stringed musical instrument
PHPFT – expressing mild anger or annoyance

(source: boardgames.abou­t.com)

Re: Scrabble Words – no vowels

Well, almost all intergections. What a surprise :--P

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Lenka vložený před 13 lety

The longest word

Pneumonoultra­microscopicsi­licovolcanoco­niosis is the longest English word. Or at least the longest word in the Oxford English Dictionary. (antimoon.com)

Re: The longest word

Well, certainly it not in my dictionary :--D

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od ramonis vložený před 13 lety

Re: Scrabble Words – no vowels

Well, almost all intergections. What a surprise :--P

Re: Re: Scrabble Words – no vowels

omg another spelling mistake…

There are four common words in English that don't have a rhyme. Three of them are colours: SILVER, ORANGE and PURPLE. The fourth one is MONTH.

Some of the less common English words with no rhymes are SCALP, ANGST and words ending in -th such as WIDTH, BREADTH, DEPTH, EIGHT, NINTH or TWELFTH.

Indepthinfo.com

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od ewerlin222 vložený před 13 lety

There are four common words in English that don't have a rhyme. Three of them are colours: SILVER, ORANGE and PURPLE. The fourth one is MONTH.

Some of the less common English words with no rhymes are SCALP, ANGST and words ending in -th such as WIDTH, BREADTH, DEPTH, EIGHT, NINTH or TWELFTH.

Indepthinfo.com

Re:

*EIGHTH :)

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.