Help for English

Commercials

Dobrý den,
chtěl bych se zeptat, jak správně nazvat anglicky ‘‘letáky‘‘. Mám na mysli takové akční letáky, jako vydává např. Lidl, Globus, Tesco etc., ale v tištěné podobě. Chci to použít v následující větě a nejsem si jistý, které slovo je tam nejvhodnější, neboť nemohu dohledat, jak se akční letáky nazývají přesně v anglicky mluvících zemích:
Our company provides large-scale businesses with high-quality delivery of their leaflets / commercials / advertisements / handouts. Které by tam sedělo nejlépe, aby bylo jasné, co to slovo označuje (denotuje)?
Děkuji předem

I have encoutered many speakers (non-native, however) who called it different ways: commercials, printed matter etc.

Supermarkets' letáky are called leaflets or flyers, but neither of these are suitable in the context you describe. In your context, I'd say publicity material(s) [= with or without the „s“]. Publicity material can take many different forms. Another word that might be suitable in your context is brochure.

Hi Dan, thank you for your help. Why can't I use ‘‘leaflets‘‘ in my context, where I am talking about supermarkets' letáky in a printed form?

If you're talking about supermarkets, you can use „leaflets“. I misunderstood you. You started off by describing supermarket leaflets, but in the example sentence you spoke about „large-scale businesses“ which I took to mean construction companies, energy companies, transport companies, arts institutions, etc. These companies don't use „leaflets“ to advertise themselves, they use brochures or publicity material(s).

If you're talking about supermarkets, I wouldn't use „large-scale businesses“. Call them supermarkets, food retail chains, food retail outlets etc.

Je nějaký rozdíl mezi leaflets a flyers?

Není.

Forgot to pick up the () leaflet in-store? Don't worry, below you'll find this week's and upcoming leaflets and brochures to read online. Click on the flyers below to see current and upcoming special offers (lidl)

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od DesperateDan vložený před 14 dny

If you're talking about supermarkets, you can use „leaflets“. I misunderstood you. You started off by describing supermarket leaflets, but in the example sentence you spoke about „large-scale businesses“ which I took to mean construction companies, energy companies, transport companies, arts institutions, etc. These companies don't use „leaflets“ to advertise themselves, they use brochures or publicity material(s).

If you're talking about supermarkets, I wouldn't use „large-scale businesses“. Call them supermarkets, food retail chains, food retail outlets etc.

Hi Dan, I am sorry – my context wasn't clear enough probably, and it did seem a bit confusing. Thank you so much for your help. Can I ask you, does the word commercials go to leaflets and brochures as well, or only to those commercials that are accessible via TV and social media?

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od DesperateDan vložený před 14 dny

I wanted to use large-scale companies to show that we don't usually ensure the distribution of leaflets for small, local companies, such as restaurants or small construction companies, but rather to large companies such as Lidl, Hornbach, Datart etc. But your version is better, it makes it more clear to the reader, I think.

You're right to have your doubts about „commercials“. As a noun, it means (only) advertisements broadcast on TV or radio, so it's used in English in a narrower sense than reklama. In fact, the word „commercial“ as a noun is beginning to sound a bit dated (to my BrE ear) and these days we talk about advertisements or [BrE] adverts or simply ads.

(The syllable in blue in the italicised English words is the stressed syllable.)

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od DesperateDan vložený před 13 dny

You're right to have your doubts about „commercials“. As a noun, it means (only) advertisements broadcast on TV or radio, so it's used in English in a narrower sense than reklama. In fact, the word „commercial“ as a noun is beginning to sound a bit dated (to my BrE ear) and these days we talk about advertisements or [BrE] adverts or simply ads.

(The syllable in blue in the italicised English words is the stressed syllable.)

Thank you so much, Dan. You've helped me a lot – I did doubt about the word commercial used in the place of leaflets.

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.