Help for English

What's your favorite book?

My favorite book is Shadow of the wind by Ruis Zafon. It is a story about young man who visited the cemetery of death books. He take away one book and this book change his life. The story is located in old Barcelona.
Also michael Connelly write very good books.

The Bad Mother's Handbook by Kate Long – love the book, love the film, didn't understand neither :-) (I just wonder how to write it correctly – nerozuměla jsem ani jednomu)
the first books I was able to read in English and wasn't bored to death were Harry Potter and Twilight
Then I like books by James Herriot, Betty MacDonald, Terry Pratchett and sometimes Jane Austen (when I'm in the right mood)

What I don't understand is how can you love the book and not understand it at the same time? :?:

You mean it was beyond comprehension or you just didn't get the point?

I don't know actually. I read the book a year ago or so and I remember I liked it a lot. I got the general idea, the main storyline. But it was written in sort of BrE slang I suppose. There was a lot of swearing, bad language so I didn't understand a lot of situations and „aside“ storylines. I hope someday I'll be able to enjoy the whole book :-)

I like Robert Fulghum Third Wish etc.
http://robertfulghum.com/…/fulghumweb/
and Voskovec Werich: Korespondence – excellent reading

Hello everybody! My favourite books are all series of Harry Potter. That books are full of…relationships, friendships, love, fear, courage, …just everything
J. K. Rowling is really great writer :)

PS: sorry for my English, I am not so good ,)

The Night Club by Jiří Kulhánek – even though it was written by a Czech author, it's an absolutely awesome book! The best one I have ever read. Actually, the best two – Part One and Part Two :D The main characters and the sort of humor… oh I loved it!
So, if anyone of you knew about a similar book (by an american author it would be best), please be so kind and let me know :)

Try The Hunger Games (trilogy). Brilliant. Especially first book. Not much funny, though.

Yeah The Hunger Games I already have and I'm going to start reading it very soon :)

Well, I can't recommend an English book but have you read Asfalt by Štěpán Kopřiva?

Prey – Michael Crichton. In the Nevada desert, a handful of scientist are battling to retrieve a swarm of rogue micro-robots that has escaped from the lab. The swarm is self-sustaining, self-reproducing and capable of learning from experience. It is very deadly and it has been programmed as a ruthless predator that becomes more dangerous with every passing hour. The story is amazing.

I agree… I loved the book.

Harry Potter – I am now reading the third part in Englih or The Day of Triffids by John Wyndham. I have read it only in Czech but I hope I will have opportunity to read it in English also. Or great book is also Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton, available in simplified English. And many others :-))

Life Expectancy, Dean Koontz – 6/10
Just finished reading this book. It wasn't as good as I had hoped. Kind of long for me. It wasn't such a page-turner for me.

Harry Potter. Took me a month to read the whole series in English. It was a hell of a ride.

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.