Help for English

Předpřítomný čas

Ahoj,

pokud mám větu „I have lived in the USA.“ Znamená to, že mluvím o své zkušenosti a že jsem už někdy žil v USA (ale teď už nežiju), anebo to znamená, že už nějakou dobu žiju v USA (stále tam bydlím).

A jak se prosím řekne: K jakému závěru jsi došel? – What did you conclude?

Děkuju.

I have lived in the USA – stále tam žiju. Lze použít i průběhový.

Dal bych asi: What conclusion did you come to?

Díky. :) A kdybych chtěl říct: Žil jsem v USA. (Ale teď už ne.) Tak bych použil klasický minulý čas prostý/průběho­vý? =)

Normálně minulej.

Ja bych spise pouzil: WHAT CONCLUSION HAVE YOU COME TO.

A s tim zitim v USA. Kdyz chces zduraznit tu nabytou zkusenost, to neni mozne rici I HAVE LIVED TO THE USA…? Tento tvar je mozno pouze s BEEN?

S tím závěrem si stojím za minulým časem a s tím USA:

I have been to the USA – Byl jsem v USA.

I have (been) lived (living) in the USA – Žiju v USA, už nějakou dobu.

„I have lived in the USA“ without any timeframe given means that at some point in my life I lived there. Have you lived in the USA <in your lifetime>? Yes, I have lived in the USA. But it doesn't mean you still live there!

Only when you add a timeframe does it gain the meaning „and I still live there“: I have lived in the USA for 20 years. Or in my case: I have lived in the Czech Republic for nearly 20 years :)

Jakub – you can say „I have lived in the USA“ (with no timeframe) or „I lived in the USA <2 years ago/for 2 months/etc>“ if it's important to know when.

Tak to me prekvapuje, mel jsem za to, ze plati jednoduche pravidlo: predlozka TO – mluvim o minule zkusenosti, predlozka IN – stale tam jsem. Takze toto asi plati pouze u slovesa TO BE, ze?

Hmmm. I think it has to do more with the tense that you use. I'm not a student of English, but rather a native speaker, so I can't always explain the rules of grammar to you…but in my experience:

I have been TO the USA <in my lifetime>. No timeframe is necessary. This is a completed event.

I have been IN the USA. Usually this sentence will continue with some kind of timeframe – „…since last Tuesday / for 20 years / since I was born.“ Otherwise it sounds a bit Czenglishy.

I was IN the USA. This also implies a completed past event. Timeframe should be specified if not stated in the question that this answers – last summer / 20 years ago / on Tuesday. Where were you last summer? I was in the USA." or "I was in the USA last summer.

I went TO the USA. Again, timeframe should be stated if not in the immediate context – „Where did you go last summer? I went to the USA.“ OR „I went to the USA last summer.“

I went IN the USA. – This is just plain wrong!

Does that help or just make it more confusing? 8-)

Čili je to tak, že když řeknu „I have lived in the USA.“ tak to znamená, že jsem tam po určitý čas ve svém životě žil, ale nyní to už tak není a bydlím jinde. A pokud chci říct, že už tam nějakou dobu bydlím, tak musím přidat nějaké příslovečné určení času, např. „I have lived in the USA for 15 years.“ (Už 15 let bydlím v USA.)

Jinak děkuju moc američance za super vysvětlení. =)

I wouldn't say it makes it more confusing, on the contrary, I think it's clearer now.

So we can say that:

I've been to the USA = I've lived in the USA

I've been in the USA for the last 2 years = I've lived in the USA for the last 2 years.

Yes, that's right! <happy dance!> 8-)

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.