Help for English

How many English words do you know?

This test is not accurate at all. Contains too many irelevant questions that affect a result too much and result itself is estimated on answers that are actualy only your opinion-based. Testing your vocabulary size is in general almost impossible thing and this test is not even close to usable outcome. I'am prety sure that most of people who have finished the test checked some words as known when the real world meaning was different than they thought.

I sorta don't know what all of your fuss is about. First, from what I know those questions at the end are not counted for-i.e. you don't have to do them.
Second, at the very begging it reads that you should check just those words at which you are sure at least about one meaning! So if there is someone boasting and bragging, thus cheating, they are not cheating us-like we care, right?-but themselves.
Third, it's not about-as we guys often do-whose is bigger.
Last, I have had a couple of friends of mine tested and turns out the results are just what I expected. For me, the test seems just fine.
Anyhow, I didn't want to flame in any way. Just saying.

You are missing a point. One can easily confuse some words in the list with a words he knows because of similar spelling. In that case he is cheating without being aware of that. So even thought he is triing to fill up the form frankly, test become inaccurate. And another thing, considering that second part is not included in the result (I did not read the procedure I confess :)), how do you wanna decide ones vocabulary size on two lists of randomly chosen words?
When I am for example House MD series fan, my vocabulary will most likely contain different words than if I watch Harry Potter. So you thing that based on maybe 300 words test you can objectively decide someones vocabulary size?

And about that friends of yours being tested, altough the results vere what did you expect it does not realy mean there were corerect, does it? :)

First things first. I am not missing a point. You are making one when there is none.
Of course someone can mistake some words for others, but these misinterpretations occur in every sort of tests no matter the field. Useless to discuss is further.
As to the vocabulary relevance, well, I am not here to evaluate the ways in which these words were chosen. However, I believe and it even seems to me they were chosen by some linguists knowing the right ways to measure your vocabulary impartially.
I hope you don't think you vocabulary is somewhat largely influenced by watching one sort of series.
Obviously the words are in some way chosen randomly so that no one is favored in any way. As said earlier, I don't know which way.
About yours last sentence, it actually implies it measures quite right and accurately.
Anyway, one can questions practically anything, especially in social sciences. It's not the point, though. Well, it is something, but that's not to be debated here.

Not to outrage anyone or bring up some flame post, it's just my opinion anyway.

Battlefield:
Did you have any native English speakers tested? If so, what were the results and the age of the persons tested?

No, I didn't. But I would be glad to some such results.
You know, to get some motivation, or rather deprivation? :-)

I've got some results from natives. (british and aussie) 21100 and 34400. however the british guy did a similar test last month and got 45 589, that's quite a big difference. so try it as well http://dynamo.dictionary.com/ you might get much better results)))

My English teacher (native American) got 18 thousand.

Well, I don't know about the second test. My result was 45,555 words (God, am I good !!!). I tried the highest level (college and beyond) and I guessed 9 out of 10 words. Yes, I have to admit that few times I was just lucky :-). I take this test as a good joke :-)

Anyway, Merry Xmas to all of you.

There is always some point and thus there is some point in what I wrote.
And yes, you would be suprised but vocabulary of many people is influenced by series and movies they watch cause they use them as a way to improve their english. If it was not so there would be no point in watching them. Every single person in the world if highly influenced with what he does.
Thing that is suprising me most is that you never said any reason to prove me wrong, no reason that you actualy right. You are just refusing what I say without any atempt to show reasonable argument why I am wrong.

And this is not a flame as long as we are duscuissing about the theme :). I am not against you. I am just triing to say my opinion and improve my english litle bit.

Maybe I can get you some results from native speakers if you like?

to smoofy: Please quit writing those at first sight seemingly clever sentences like the first one. Those have completely nothing to do with any sort of proper argumentation.
Next, I didn't say anything about people not being influenced about things they watch! Not at all.
As with me proving you wrong, read my previous one more time or more then you might see that crystal clear.

Anyway, merry Christmas and a happy new New year to you all!

Battlefield good one, where is the „Like“ button?)))

Battlefield good one, where is the „Like“ button?)))

Battlefield:
„I hope you don't think you vocabulary is somewhat largely influenced by watching one sort of series. “

Battlefield:
„Next, I didn't say anything about people not being influenced about things they watch! Not at all.“

This is enough for me :). Thank you.

Ok, I will try to break it down for you.
The sentence: "I hope you don't think you vocabulary is somewhat largely influenced by watching one sort of series. " doesn't say that people are not influenced by movies, or media stuff in general!!! Of course they are, but speaking of one series as you mentioned Harry Potter or Doctor House, it's not somewhat largely :-).
Getting it now?

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.