Help for English

článek/Guardian- zvláštní předminulý čas

Dobrý den

Během čtení jednoho článku jsem narazil na (pro mě) nepcohopitelné použití předminulého času. Je zde vůbec použit správně? Děkuji!

For the first time since 2013, when the Latvian loose cannon Ernests Gulbis accused Federer, Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray of being “boring”, there is insurrection in the air and boredom seems the underlying cause of the latest unrest.

Stefanos Tsitsipas, the 20-year-old Greek who is top seed here, is impatient for other young players to challenge harder against the elite. Kyrgios, who has already upset his betters, thinks the stars do have a hold over the next generation – but shouldn’t. “I probably don’t show them respect,” the Australian admitted. “They’re just good at tennis. I just don’t know if the younger guys are good enough to beat them over five sets.”

Meanwhile Medvedev, one of the game’s bright hopes, says that growing up in an era when the Big Three have won nearly all the important trophies had never sat well with him.

The issue here is with “says” (“Medvedev … says that”…). The journalist is using the historic/drama­tic/narrative present to create the impression that the “saying” is in the here and now, not something that happened earlier (when Medvedev said it). However we understand that it's actually a past-time situation (“he said”), so what you see here is a simple reported speech backshift.

• Direct speech: “This has never sat well with me”.
  • Reported speech: He said (that) this had never sat well with him. [Except the journalist has used the dramatic present “says”, instead of “said”.]

It's essentially an issue of prescriptive versus descriptive grammar. Native speakers don't learn the grammar rules and then decide which tense is prescribed in the situation in which we're speaking. We use tenses in all sorts of different ways, and the rules are then formulated to try to describe the use of the tenses in the given context.

Similarly, a dog hasn't read a rule that says it must wag its tail when it's happy. But the dog's owner has noticed that when it's happy, the dog wags its tail, and that's the “rule”.

Ok, díky.

Hlavou mi vrtá však předpřítomný čas v té samé větě – ten se nemusel posunout? Působí to na mě celkem neohrabaně mít v této větě předpřítomný s předminulým takto dohromady.

• Meanwhile Medvedev, one of the game’s bright hopes, says that growing up in an era when the Big Three have won nearly all the important trophies had never sat well with him.

Máte pravdu, podle pravidel je to špatně. Jen jsem chtěl vysvětlit, jak může něco takového vzniknout. Pan novinář prodlužuje použití historic present / direct speech (“M says …” až na historic present perfect / direct speech (“Big Three have won …” ) a pak v tom okamžiku si uvědomuje, že má přesunout “has never sat well” na “had never sat well”.

V dnešní době píše v novinách kdekdo. Kdo není gramotný, toho přesouvají na oddělení “sport”, tak vemte to sportovně – don't lose any sleep over it! / don't let it bother you! / don't let it get to you! / just let it go! ;-)

Co se týče divných konstrukcí, kde není minulý čas před předminulým a podobně, mám ještě dva příklady:

1. Has the online shopping greatly improved life for the consumer? With the technology improving so quickly each day, we've inevitably taken it for granted that whatever we need, we can buy online. What remains a little uncertain is whether it has improved our lives as we had expected before its arrival.

Toto pochází z mé eseje. Jedná se o její úplný začátek. Je mi jasné, že jde použít pouze “expected”. Nicméně tak nějak přirozeně jsem použil “had expected”. Je to zde opravdu v pořádku, když zde není vyjádřeno nic minulým časem? Podle mě ano, protože onen opěrný bod v minulosti zde mohu vidět v onom nástupu této konkrétní technologie – do té doby bylo nějaké očekávání/očekávání bylo do cca doby kdy tato technologie přišla

1. Santi Cazorla pulls one back for Arsenal with a superb free-kick after Chester had given Hull the early advantage.

Tento druhý příklad jsem našel napsaný na FB stránkách, popis jedné čerstvé události jenž se udála během zápasu. Je gramaticky správné použít přítomny prostý čas pro vyprávění/komen­tování příběhu/události a poté, aniž by text obsahoval minulý čas, použít předminulý?

Díky moc!

1. … as we expected before … “Before” tells us the expecting happened before the introduction of online shopping, so the past perfect is unnecessary (though acceptable).
  2. This is poor writing. The writer uses the dramatic/narrative present to add “drama” to the commentary. “Had given” just pushes the “giving” further back into the past, but it's not necessary, because “after” tells us the giving has already happened. Sports writers are not known for their sound grasp of grammar.
  1. Kdyby věta končila jen tím “…as we had expected”. Pořád by šlo použít jak tento předminulý čas tak i minulý, že? Možná by onen předminulý čas byl malinko “oprávněnější” ? Hádám, že by záleželo co přesně chci zdůraznit, že?
  2. Toto míchání (narrative present/předminulý čas) není tedy v pořádku i kdyby ve větě nebylo “after”. Chápu to tak správně?

Díky moc! :)

1. There's no reason at all for “had expected”, with or without “before its arrival”. There's no cause-and-effect link between “improving our lives” and “expecting”. The “expecting” is just an action that happened in the past, so the simple past is the right tense. Compare: I couldn't open my front door as I had lost my keys. “Losing my keys” previously is the direct reason why I couldn't open the door. In your example, “expecting” online shopping to improve our lives, or “online shopping arriving” previously is not the reason for the improvement being uncertain or not. 2. The past perfect is incorrect in the second example. Without “after” the sentence doesn't make sense.

Dobře, děkuji!

1. Ještě k té jedničce kde je lepší použít pouze minulý čas “expected”. V čem je následující věta/kontext jiný? U následující věty mi totiž bylo řečeno (i jedním rodilcem), že předminulý čas je nutný a přitom v textu také není žádná opěra v podobě minulého prostého čau:

• Most of the things I had planned (I planned?) this summer didn't end up happening, but there is something I hadn't planned (I didn't plan?) on that did happen. And that is my 8th studio album, folklore.

Znovu podotýkám, že textu nic nepředcházelo. Toto byl úvod Taylor Swift k nově vydanému albu. Napsáno to bylo v červenci. Vážně by nešel minulý čas pouze? Na druhou stranu chápu předminulý. Podle mě zde je ve smyslu “co plánovala před začátkem léta”. Podobně jsem zamýšlel předminulý u své věty s “had expected” – důraz na tu dobu před příchodem té technologie.

2. U této věty, šlo by “had given” nahradit obojím – jak “gives” tak “has given” ?

• Santi Cazorla pulls one back for Arsenal with a superb free-kick after Chester has given/gives Hull the early advantage.

Mockrát vám děkuji za pomoc a trpělivost se mnou :)

1. Most of the things I had planned / planned this summer didn't end up happening, but there is something I hadn't planned / didn't plan on that did happen. The past perfect is acceptable, but not necessary. [Note: it's not clear if he planned them this summer to happen later, or if he planned them before summer to happen in summer.]

2. Santi Cazorla pulls one back for Arsenal with a superb free-kick after Chester has given / gives / gave Hull the early advantage.

• “Has given” is acceptable in a dramatic present perfect sense in this “sports commentary” context: the match is still in progress so Chester's “early advantage” goal is relevant to the time of the utterance, Santi Cazorla's goal makes the score level at this present point in the match.
  • “Gives” is acceptable as part of the overall dramatic present “sports commentary” choice of tenses. Yes, the early goal happened previously, but “after” makes that clear in any case.
  • “Gave” is preferable. It's a simple past to describe something that happened in the past.

Note that sports commentators often try to make their speech or text sound dramatic, They want to talk about things that are happening NOW, not things that are in the past, so that the listener feels as if they are witnessing everything in the here and now. So sports commentators will choose sometimes quite bizarre tenses to try to achieve that “happening right here, right now!” effect. It's their job to make everything sound dramatic and exciting.

But these unusual, bizarre, against-the-rules choices of tense are highly specific to sports commentaries only. You shouldn't try to copy them in everyday situations.

Nedá mi to spát, musím se na to zde zeptat. Našel jsem přepis rozhovoru/tiskovky Andy M. po zápase:

Q. Andy, you said a few weeks ago about whether this was going to be your last year, et cetera, getting through the summer and whatnot, but is it getting frustrating and a bit boring for that question coming up press conference after press conference?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, yeah. I feel like no one is listening to me (laughter). I mean, yeah, I'm planning on finishing in the summer. I don't know what more I can – yeah, I don't know what more I'm supposed to say. I've been getting asked about it for, yeah, 18 months or so, and it's obviously something I have thought about, but, you know, I hadn't made a decision on.

Je zde použití předminulého času více opodstatněné? Oproti větě s Cazorlou – Santi Cazorla pulls one back for Arsenal with a superb free-kick after Chester had given Hull the early advantage?

I v tomto rozhovoru s AM mi přijde divné použít předminulý čas takto z ničeho nic. Nebo jsou podobná použití předminulého času v řeči přípustná, ale nikoliv na papíře?

Předem děkuji za pomoc 🙂

I mean, yeah, I'm planning on finishing in the summer.

So Murray says he intends to retire in (the) summer. People have repeatedly asked him for 18 months if he's going to retire in summer so this is something he has thought about, but even before people started asking him this question 18 months ago, he had not made a decision. So the action of „not making a decision“ happened before people started asking him the question 18 months ago.

In the Arsenal-Hull example, the past perfect is acceptable but not necessary. „After“ already tells us that the action of giving Hull the advantage happened before the free kick.

So the action of „not making a decision“ happened before people started asking him the question 18 months ago.

• Ale klidně tím předminulým mohl myslet ne pouze období před 18 měsíci, ale období do doby než se tak rozhodl – což v době tohoto rozhovoru byly 2 týdny před ním?
  • Didn't make a decision mi v tomto kontextu nezní, bylo by vůbec možné použít prostý minulý?

Tento příklad od A. Murrayho porovnávám s mým pokusem výše –

• Has the online shopping greatly improved life for the consumer? With the technology improving so quickly each day, we've inevitably taken it for granted that whatever we need, we can buy online. What remains a little uncertain is whether it has improved our lives as we had expected.

Předminulým časem (had expected) jsem se zde totiž snažil vyjádřit to co Murray ve své řeči (I hadn't made a decision on). V mém kontextu se to však tolik nelíbilo. Chtěl bych se z toho poučit, proto to porovnání. Přijdou mi to jako dvě velice podobná použití předminulého času. Nahlížím na ně jako na dvě použití předminulého času bez předcházející podpory času minulého. V čem jsou jiná?

Mohl bych Vás, Dane, ještě jednou poprosit o porovnání těchto dvou příkladů? Trochu plavu v tomto použití předminulého času „z voleje“.

I've been getting asked about it for, yeah, 18 months or so, and it's obviously something I have thought about, but, you know,

• hadn't made a decision on. [= at some point in the past before being asked about it]
  • didn't make a decision on. [= at any point in the past]

Either tense is possible. There's no difference in meaning here.

What remains a little uncertain is whether it has improved our lives

• as we had expected. [= when we first heard about online shopping, but before it happened for real]
  • as we expected. [at any point in the past (when we first heard about it, or when it started happening)]

Either tense is possible. There's no difference in meaning here.

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.