Help for English

Studying languages in general

Hi, here we could talk about studying languages in general: experience with how to learn in more effective way, maybe remarks obtained by studying the other lang. than Engl., how useful or enjoyable can the other languages be and similarities I personally prefer English (its lang. of whole world (of cosmos actually :-) , next German – its lang. of Europe and French – its lang. of my heart and EU administration, but with the last two I have started recently and I am just beginner in that – I have started because I think that Eng. Is obligatory and Ger or Fren might be an advantage for an employment market (but I was surprised that it’s quite common to speak more than one lang.). At least you can’t feel like a villager (or how to say) if you are abroad My daily routine: vocabulary, listen some CD with phrases, and read, read, read and finally learning of grammar (grammar actually is not daily, you now …) I am practising this about two months and I am still keen on – and I really don’t know for how long I will be :-) Whose turn?

I would like to add my reasons for studying english..of course the first is that I must study it at school :-D then..english is very useful language..you can speak with it if you are abroad in easy way (but I think that communication „with our hands and legs“ is very funny:) ) When I was younger I wrote emails with people from foreign countries and could get to know other countries and their customs and meet a lot of interesting people for example from China, France or Germeny..and all of them speak English – in my opinion it is great! and of course it is good when we understand songs in english and we can translate them…

to Alfa – how do you study French? do you have any private teacher? what book do you use?

yeah…I've been studying German for about 2,5 years and my knowledge is terrible. Words don't want to get into my head though my brain persuade them all the time that's worth being to be there :-)

Anyway…the question is… does anybody know a great web site from which you can study German? I've been looking for that but with no success.. The thing is… I need something for begginer and something that offers useful vocabulary, texts, listening. No matter whether it's in German. Pages I know are awful. Can anybody help me? :-)

I learnt English at a secondary school for four years. The first three years we learnt mainly grammar and practised only the same words. Then we got a new teacher in the fourth year. He said me that my pronunciation is bad and I usually didn´t hear what he say. I kept a worse mark then. I stopped to hope that I will get up it. Then I attended some courses, but it wasn´t systematic. I have tried to listen to some elementary listening exercise. Some words I have heard good, but the other words…for example „Martin“ – I hear „Morgan“. I have tried to practise single letters in the Language Lab. It is better now. :-) I thank on the web page.

Hi!
It´s interesting to read about experiencies about studying foreign languages. I think,it´s ne­cessary to know at least one foreign language. Of course,it´s better to know two languages as English and French – as Alfa mentioned. I can speak German, I learnt German 2 years. But it´s is already 6 years ago and my knowledge goes down. I haven´t a lot of possibilities to speak.
I study English now, but it´s for me harder than German, especially speaking. I would like to study French too, but when? For me it´s absolutely impossible to study two languages in the same time. I haven´t a lot of free time for this now. And I´m not the youngest here – I´m 41 and studying is not easy now… :-(
Alfa, would I ask you how old you are?
Young people have advantage because they have to learn foreign language in elementary school.But, It´s obvious that it´s depend not only on their sedulity but also on teacher.
Bye,bye

Hi everybody, [/br][/br] thanks for your words. At first to Janatánek: I am studying French from “traditional” teach-yourself book (Francouzština pro samouky: Le francais est facile! Kameníková, Borovanová), that includes two CDs what is, in my opinion, necessary for learning pronunciation, then I have “Francouzština? Jednoduše s cédéčkem!” what is just phrases on two CDs – what positive: there are recorded phrases in Czech and in French ater, so you can listen these in car, at home when you are ironing and …that actually is not for who just started because some sentences are quite “compliqué” but I don’t mind and I am focusing on phrases like: Oú habitez-vous?, Pourriez-vous répéter,s´il vous plait? :-) (Could you repeat it, please?) and similar. French goes slower than German – but I am still calm :-) [/br][/br] Btw: nice website: http://www.frenchtutorial.com/ [/br][/br] To johnbrown: http://www.deutsch-lernen.com/ – I don’t know that web well-but it seems nice at a glance [/br][/br] To yarsk: I am 31! And it’s my nature to be active – do something but not sitting before TV and stare at – of course someone could return: raft of duties, too much to do else… but as a saying is: Do something for yourself else no ones do! (I hope right translation?!) Steal 20–30 minutes for yourself per day – I think that isn’t a big sin – and if not I will do it tomorrow. [/br][/br] My attitude is to do languages my hobby, and everyone has hobby to spend time with it. And that today is less capacity when once was?– That is reality, it seems won’t be better, and I hope it won’t be worse at least. [/br][/br] I think it’s too many words from me for today. [/br][/br] By all

What did you write here is true. I have to agree with you, but there is one problem that I think it is important. My opinion is that Spanish is more international language than French. Firstly, there's more countries where you can speak in Spanish. Secondly, Portuguese is similar as Spanish, so you can understand in Portuguese speaking countries. Everybody thinks that French is second administration language in EU, but it's not true, because each languages of member countries are administration languages. Only because French people are lazy to study foreign languages, it means that we have to study their language to understand them. I have nothing against French, I like the language, I only said my opinion. „The more languages you know, the more you are human:idea:“

I don´t think that french is second important language in world, too. But I also think that majority od people don´t study it for this. A lot of people want to study French cos it is nice language. But you are right that French people are usually very lazy in studying foreign languages. But I know one boy from France and he is good at english. I think that young generation is different and only „old generation“ don´t want study english and other languages..but it is only my opinion

Hi, to EU language: I understand that each countries have their language like administration lang., but that is just declaration for output materials, my friend works in Brussels and she said that most of materials (I mean operative materials) are in Engl., French. and that’s all. Of course The constitution and similar are translated into each langs., but operating materials absolutely not.[br][br]Ne­vertheless if I said EU admin. that was not good usage – I agree – because I thought it in this meaning: If you want to work for EU administration , you can’t avoid to learn French, because EU admin. offices are residing in French speaking country. On the other side there is no problem for Brussels (or Paris) people with English (they can speak Engl. – I was there, in both of those). My fried who works in Brussels, as I said, makes do with English during working hours, and during leisure she speaks French because she lives in French speaking country, so she wants to speak its lang. [br][br] I absolutely agree with both of you, that French is not important lang. of world, neither second nor next order, but I didn’t said that (if I remember right) It was my personally order of langs. I gave French in third position for my personally reasons. I also agree that Spanish and the other are more used langs. For example my college is learning Spanish because it is lang. of many people and because he likes South America nature and is planning to go there – for me is more probable to go to Paris or Brussels again – that is reason why I am learning French. [br][br] By by for today.

Hello, have you ever heard the French speak English? Well, it`s better to speak French with them 8-)
I started to learn French about 16 months ago, I still love it but have found out it is far more difficult than English. The best thing (after getting at least some knowledge of grammar) is to read a French magazine (or something similar). You get in touch with the day-to-day language and become familiar with the most used phrases – that is what I missed when learning English.
When moving abroad for some time, after x years of learning English, I wasnt able to say anything! I am happy I was forced to speak (as an au-pair you simply have to...) and step-by-step I was loosing the fear of making a mistake. And one very important thing - even if you dont feel like your English is good, the English find it excellent. Just imagine a stranger speaking Czech like you speak English. You would be amazed, too!
And one last thing: if you want to have something to do with EU institutions, don`t think about if to learn French or not. It is just essential. At least a bit
:shock:
Bye

Hi all, could somebody help me to find some plays useful when teaching foreign languages, please? And don't be afraid, I obviously don't teach English but French. My students love plays like „Find out which famous person I'am thinking of by asking me different question about his/her life“ and for exemple the play with folded papers and so on… And my students want more and more plays and my fantasy is running out of ideas… Could sombody give me some inspiration?

Howdy,
first of all French is a horrible language, sounds a bit like snorting…even German is better… just kidding..but anyway I don't like it..
But now back to the theme, there are many games – like hangman, vocabulary games etc., But my favourite thing in the class has always been discussing current issues or another things; the most important thing is to choose the right theme, it should be something so that not everybody has the same opinion about it, people must start „arguing“, if they don't they are bored and don't want participate.
People also like games which they are included in, e.g. when they are describing other people's charac­teristics etc. The problem is that sometimes there are people who are not in favor of others and they probably don't really want to hear what other people think about them.
>>>Just one advice, never, by never I mean really never, let them play bingo, it is the most anoying game ever and the only reason why some people like it is that they are too lazy to do anything else than randomly choose words…<<< :-D

What is bingo? We played at a English course: the teacher chose 5 words and each couple had to describe and divine them. The first of couple described and the second divined them. The teacher clocked. We enjoyed it. You can explain some words shortly, when you have good idea. It teachs to be disposable and to concentrate. But I heard, one teacher gives to the best couple – 1 and to worst couple – 5. It is horrible!
I think pupils won´t be lazy. I often would examine conversational topics. Our teacher of Russian of a elementary school did it in such way. She didn´t be patient, but we had lots of marks. About 10 persons each hours. It was important to be disposable. And everybody who had a problem at the time, doesn´t have it now. We had a meeting recently.

Bingo is the most stupid game ever, I remember we played it in tercie and maybe even in kvarta (what is terrifying, but many people in my class had – so they probably still have, I don't think a year can change that much – problems with creating a simple sentence…it was really torturing to listen to them…)but back to bingo, in bingo teacher gives you a theme and you write x…e.g. 10 words on the theme and then the teacher is saying words on the theme. And when the teacher says world you wrote down you cross it, once you crossed all words you won…it is just stupid, originally it used to be played with numbers…
:idea: Yup, I remembered one quite a funny „game“, writing rap or play(theater play), it can be a good fun, it can be either with or without theme. Problem could be that kids tend to use simple grammar and vocabulary in things like this…but teachers are very tricky and always find a way to make students what they want them to do, am I right? :-D

Thank you, Prion and Sweda, it will be tomorrow much more funny snorting, grunting, frog biting… v

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.