Help for English

since + přítomný prostý čas místo předpřítomného

Dobrý den,

Dle rodilých mluvčí z fóra zde lze říci všechny tyto věty. V první části je minulý čas a ve druhé je přítomný prostý -v čem je problém? Osobně bych použil/očekával pouze předpřítomný čas jako ten správný – ve druhé polovině.

1. Since 9/11/2001, I am afraid of tall buildings.
  2. Since I was robbed, I go to bed every night with a shotgun.
  3. Since I developed cancer,I go on holidays whenever I can.
  4. Since the divorce, I keep thinking about her.

Panuje shoda, že zde lze použít přítomý prostý, protože “since” je zde podobné/může být chápáno také ve smyslu “protože” – the since clause can be be seen to also have an element of “since” as “because”.

Tomu rozumím. Nicméně mi přijde, že ve čtvrté větě se ona pomůcka se since ve smyslu “protože” trochu ztrácí, není to tak jednoznačné – byť si asi pořád lze říci něco ve smyslu “Protože jsme se rozvedli, pořád na ní myslím”. Je to tak?

Dle rodilců nelze říci…

• Since 2007, I go to Zakopane for the skiing every year.

…zde by bylo potřeba více kontextu abychom si za “Since 2007..” mohli něco představit a since zde nebylo jen v časovém významu. Správně? Podobně jako u věty “Since 9/11/2001, I am afraid of tall buildings.” .....zde je sice také pouze since a časový údaj, ale všichni víme co za tím je za “příběh” a since zde může být i ve významu “protože”.

Jsem si vědom toho, že moje otázka je poměrně zamotaná. V zásadě mi jde o to se ujistit/zjistit, kdy mohu bez problémů použít přítomný čas místo předpřítomného ve druhé časti věty poté co v první je since.

Děkuji!

Mohl bych poprosit o komentář/názor? Zkusím zkrátit dotaz.

V jednom cvičení jsem narazil na větu:

• The team seem rather demotivated since the coach was fired.

Proč v této větě není předpřítomný čas – tak jak by po “since” ve významu “od té doby” měl být? Je to tím, že zde lze since číst i jako “protože” ? Budu vděčný, když mi poradíte i s větami v původním příspěvku. Nevšiml jsem si, že by se tomuto tématu věnoval jakýkoliv článek/příspěvek na HfE. Děkuji!

The team seem rather demotivated since the coach was fired.

The sentence is ok. We're talking about a present-time situation (the team seem demotivated) which is the result of something that happened in the past (the coach was fired).

I understand the use of “since” here as temporal (not “because”). … since the coach had been fired is not possible. The time relations (present-time situation resulting from something that happened in the past) seem to me the same as in: I can't eat salad since I found a slug in my lettuce last month or he seems depressed since his dog died or she seems much happier since she divorced her brute of a husband".

I understand the use of “since” here as temporal (not “because”). … since the coach had been fired is not possible. The time relations (present-time situation resulting from something that happened in the past) seem to me the same as in: I can't eat salad since I found a slug in my lettuce last month or he seems depressed since his dog died or she seems much happier since she divorced her brute of a husband".

• Ve všech těchto případech co uvádíte může since znamenat jak protože tak od té doby.

V jedné z učebnic jsem nalezl klasické cvičení jenž požaduje od studenta opravu následujících vět:

• She is married since 1990. She has been married since 1990.
  • She lives in Hollywood since 2005. She has lived/has been living in Hollywood since 2005.

Proto mě zajímá kde je ta hranice kdy mohu použít přítomný prostý čas “po since”. Je to pouze v případech kdy je since nejednoznačné a může znamenat jak protože tak od té doby? Tomuto předpokladu odporuje fakt, že rodilci na fóru, na které jsem dal odkaz hned ve svém prvním příspěvku zde, přijde OK věta jako například – Since 9/11/2001, I am afraid of tall buildings.. Kde je zakopaný pes?

The dog is buried problem lies in the fact that we're looking at a single sentence out of context. The sense of “since” is determined by the rest of the context. In addition, yes, “since” can mean “because”, but it's rarely the first choice in that sense, and if the context indicates some kind of time shift, the sense of “since” will almost always be temporal (and not “because”):

• [Omluvenka – absence note] Tommy can't come to school today since because he's not feeling well. (“Since” is possible, but most people wouldn't use it.)

Strictly speaking, “I am afraid of tall buildings since 9/11” is incorrect, It should be “I have been afraid …”. There can be many reasons why a native speaker may find the sentence acceptable, e.g.

• they have a poor level of education
  • language interference: maybe the language spoken at home was not native English
  • general “laxness”: they've already starting speaking (“I am afraid”) and then, midway through the utterance, they add an additional thought (“and I've had this fear since 9/11”) but they don't then stop and restart the sentence with the correct grammar because what they are saying is clearly understood, even if they've used the wrong grammar. Native English speakers don't always speak English properly. Native Czech speakers don't always speak Czech properly.

It’s been years since I rode a bike.

It’s been years since I’ve ridden a bike.

Jak by se ale řeklo, už je to roky co jezdívám na kole ?

It’s been years since I'm used to ridding a bike.

It’s been years since I haven’t rode a bike.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Alkman vložený před rokem

I have been riding a bike for years.

Přesně tak bych to také vyjádřil. Myslím, že angličtina pro tohle specifickou konstrukci nemá. Pro opakovaný děj, který v češtině můžeme takto zdůraznit, užívá přítomný čas prostý a nebo předpřítomný průběhový (viz příklad výše).

I usually go for a walk in the evening. – Večer obvykle chodím/chodívám na procházku.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Alkman vložený před rokem

Hlavně prosím ne ridding /rɪdɪŋ/ (riding /raɪdɪŋ/ více v článku Zdvojování koncové souhlásky) a taky have rode (have ridden).

1)

Strictly speaking, “I am afraid of tall buildings since 9/11” is incorrect, It should be “I have been afraid …”. There can be many reasons why a native speaker may find the sentence acceptable, e.g.

they have a poor level of education

• Vy sám jste však použil kombinaci since + přítomný prostý čas. U Vás se určitě nebude jednat o „poor level of education“ či další z důvodů jenž uvádíte jako možné opodstatnění pro použití přítomného prostého místo předpřítomného času v těchto konstrukcích.

Viz tyto věty:

I can't eat salad since I found a slug in my lettuce last month or he seems depressed since his dog died or she seems much happier since she divorced her brute of a husband".

2)

I u těchto vět by bylo jistější/lepší použít předpřítomný čas místo zde uvedeného přítomného prostého?

• Since then, I keep a small bottle of alcohol on my kitchen shelf.
  • Since then, I keep the barrel on top of the hot-water heater.
  • Since then, I keep my mouth shut

Vy sám jste však použil kombinaci since + přítomný prostý čas. U Vás se určitě nebude jednat o „poor level of education“ či další z důvodů jenž uvádíte jako možné opodstatnění pro použití přítomného prostého místo předpřítomného času v těchto konstrukcích.

I was just trying to offer potential reasons (e.g. poor level of education) why someone might use this construction („I'm afraid of tall buildings since 9/11“ instead of the correct „I've been afraid of tall buildings since 9/11) "wrongly“.

I've been thinking about this long and hard, and I think the answer is that „since“ is being used in two different types of syntactic function.

1. can't / haven't been able to eat salad since I found a slug in my lettuce last month. Here, since is functioning adverbially: it modifies I found a slug.
  2. I'm afraid / I've been afraid of tall buildings since 9/11. Here, since is functioning as a preposition („since 9/11“), it's not modifying any verb.

In the other examples I gave, („he seems depressed since his dog died“ and „she seems much happier since she divorced her brute of a husband“) you can use present or present perfect in the main clause because „since“ is functioning as a adverb (modifying a verb).

• he seems / has seemed depressed since his dog died
  • she seems / has seemed much happier since she divorced her brute of a husband.

Where "since"is functioning as a preposition (it's followed by a specific time reference (since 9/11), it's not modifying a verb , you have to use the present perfect:

• Since 2007 I go skiing in Zakopane every year.
  • Since 2007 I've been going (or I've gone) skiing in Zakopane every year.
  • She is / has been married since 1990.

But I accept that this distinction („since“ as an adverb takes present or present perfect, „since“ as a preposition + time reference takes only present perfect) may not apply in every case, because different native speakers may have different opinions about acceptability.

Your original sentences 2 and 3 („Since I was robbed, I go to bed every night with a shotgun“ and „Since I developed cancer, I go on holiday whenever I can“) don't sound good to me (I would expect „Since I was robbed, I've been going …“, and „Since I developed cancer, I've been going …“. If other native speakers say them, it may be due to educational level, language interference or something else.

Z toho co tak pozoruji bude jistotou (alespoň pro mě) používat pouze předpřítomný čas. Tímto časem zde nelze nic pokazit a vždy bude v podobných případech idiomatický. Souhlasíte?

Platí to tedy i pro tyto dva příklady, že? 🙂 - Since then, I have kept my mouth shut. - The team have seem rather demotivated since the coach was fired.

Yes, in the „since“ contexts we're dicussing, the present perfect will always be right.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od DesperateDan vložený před rokem

Yes, in the „since“ contexts we're dicussing, the present perfect will always be right.

Možná s výjimkou těchto dvou příkladů? Zde mi present perfect po časovém since nepřijde vhodný. Vám ano? 🙂

• It seems (has seemed) a long time since we last met.
  • It feels (has felt) like ages since I was last here.

Přemýšlím nad tím více a více, bude v tom ještě něco jiného…

• Since the changes last year, you now have to press the button twice to make it work.

Ani zde dle mého není možné použít předpřítomný čas ve druhé části věty po časovém since.

Přítomný čas po časovém since se zdál býti něčím, co bylo jistější v mnoha případech nepoužívat – jeho použití nemá jasná pravidla.

Předpřítomný čas po časovém since měl být (a ve většině případů asi i nadále bude) jistotou.

Existují však případy jako"It feels like ages since…„, "Since the changes…, you now have to…“.,kde je naopak přítomný čas po časovém since nakonec asi jedinou správnou volbou? Skutečně tomu tak je? Čím to je? Čím bych se zde, prosím, měl řídit? Kdyby vždy platilo, jak jsme si zde mysleli, že po časovém since bude jistotou dát předpřítomný čas- neřešil bych to, ale takto tomu toužím přijít na kloub. Moc prosím o radu 🙂

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.