Help for English

How many English words do you know?

Nice! Poor Asians.

Or rather poor Europeans who have to learn an Asian language…

Either way, it's not easy. But, well, English is a number one language, so we should be benefited a bit more. Then again, what about a hundred years from now? Will Chinese take over?

Geo: It all depends. Some Asian languages have difficult pronunciation, but they have very easy grammar.

Battlefield: I don't know. Maybe if they've taken over the whole world, the language would be much more important, but I don't see that happening. Btw. If you don't count L2 speakers, than Chinese and Spanish are ahead of English. So I see it quite useful to learn English and Spanish. That should open like a half of the world. I'll go for Spanish for sure. It sounds nice, has quite easy grammar and pronunciation and it's spoken in the Caribbean, South and Central Americas and many immigrants in the USA are ignorant enough to learn English, so there's not any other choice to talk to them, but in Spanish. And I've almost forgotten Spain, yay :-)

Yeah, Spanish…I took a class once at school and it was lovely. Our teacher considered Spanish easy to learn especially for Czech people. And I like it.
As for the Asian languages, you are right. In Vietnameese most words are monosyllabic, but the pronunciation…mu­sical ear means a great advantage.
Yet in my opinion every language has its beauty. :-)

Exactly. Not to mention you have to really focus on the intonation, unless you want to be misunderstood, which could get you in some serious trouble. For example the word for street and prostitute is both pho and you have to be really careful about the right pronunciation. About the Spanish. Yes it is easy for a Czech speaker, yet it has vast vocab potential with all the slang and collocations. And also el coche means car in Spain, while it is el carro in Latin America. But we got a little bit OT. :-)

Btw. When I apply for a job I always see English as taken for granted, but they usually require one extra language (Italian, Polish) so it comes handy to know at least two foreign languages I guess.

OMG. 2830. I will improve.

My score is 4150 and my vocabulary in Word manager is 3573. :-)

„My total vocabulary size“ is 7020 words
:shock:
very nice surprise :-D

Oh, my score was just 5600 words. I wish I had at least 10000 words and could use them when I am speaking.

only 3,500 – nevermind… I like English :-D

So please, can someone explain me this – When I read some text in english, I understand almost all (even if the text is quiet difficult – for instance news in newpapers), but if I need to build some interesting sentence, or if I need to speak, I find out, that my English is still terrible. It is very frustrating. Do you have the same opinion, that reading is much easier than speaking ang writing? :shock:

Quite difficult – of course!!!!

It's not so much about what's easier as it is about what you do more often. If you spoke and wrote in English every day for a long time, the results would not be long in coming. However, most non-native speakers mostly read or listen to English and don't have so many opportunities to practice speaking or writing. That's why they tend to think that reading is easier. For some, a particular sub skill might be easier due to their natural aptitudes, though.

4910… I think it isn't bad because I'm studying english about 4 months. There are a lot of words that I must learn.. And I'll do my best for my perfect english because that's my dream :)

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.