Help for English

Getting tired of trying to learn english

I am 19, I started to learn English when I was 12 at school and my english is still terrible. I cannot affort to take english lessons so I am trying to learn at home reading books (both textbooks and fiction books in english), listening to audiobooks and using internet. But after few weeks I always give it up and then I have to start again.

I guess I am on leel A2 or B1 now and I would love to improve my english, but I just dont know how not to stop. I'd like to do FCE exam in 2–3 years and I am afraid I will not be good enough, so I will not even try, or I will not pass it.

I just think there are so much things I have to learn, I dont know very much important words and also grammar is often too difficult for me. I feel I cant manage it so I give up.

I have wasted so much time learning English. It is been 7 years and my english is still so bad.

Does anyone fele the same?

It seems to me that your problem is more of a mental one. Take it easy. Learn every day for just a few minutes, you don't have to spend hours doing it. Obviously that scares you off after some time. Also, think about your motivation why you want to learn English. Your motivation has to be strong enough for you to keep on learning. I recommend you read read a book “Konec prokrastinace”, there are some great tips in it on how to do stuff from scratch, not overdo it, but with small steps you can achieve anything. Plus, I think your English based on what you've just written is pretty good, with several minor mistakes.

Don't give up.

dishonored, I think you are right and I hope this time I will achieve it. I have read Konec prokrastinace twice but I am still unteachable :)

Could you please tell me what mistakes did I make? It helps very much when I know what I did wrong.

I read the book too and I've tried to apply the things he proposes in my life. I believe it's doable. http://www.konec-prokrastinace.cz/buzer-listek/

Also you should know that the progress is gradual, it will not happen overnight. I was in a similar situation a few years ago, when I doubted myself and asked myself if I would ever understand what the native speakers talked about in movies and tv series. I was watching a lot of tv series and I think it helped, now I pretty much understand everything they say and like I said the progress is gradual, one day I just caught myself understanding. The room for improvement is still there and I guess always will be, since we are not natives…

It's difficult to advise someone to improve something based on very limited information. The problem may be different from what I've said. But from my experience, finding the thing you like most in a language helps a lot, and that is why you keep on learning. For me, that was the tv shows and books. For others, it can be music, bbc news, talking to real natives etc. So find what you love most and keep doing it.

Don't lose heart, Yasminnk, no one who is able to write such a long text in English (all the more so if he/she could have chosen the Czech part of the forum) had wasted his/her time. I don't think I was doing any better after 7 years of learning. And I know I'm still making mistakes, but that doesn't stop me, because I love to write and speak in English.

I believe these feelings will pass and you'll enjoy the learning soon again. Try to associate English with something you really like – perhaps reading your favourite cartoon, watching your beloved movie/tv show/youtube channel or something like that. Make the language pleasant for yourself and stay in touch with it every day.

Apparently you've been doing a great job so far, don't give up. (thu)

As for what dishonored wrote about understanding – he's absolutely right. Be patient with your brain. Feed it with English long enough, and one day the “click” will come ;-)

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.