Help for English

What book should I use? And what method?

I have been learning English for 9 years but my english skills are still terrible. I want to get better but I am so much scatterbrained that I always learn heavily for a few days and than stop because I can't find an effective learning system. I have tried many methods to learn grammar, words and fluent speaking but none of them worked and now I don't know what to do.

I guess I am maybe on B1 level and my goal is to reach CAE level in 3 years.

.I always hated textbooks but now I decided to choose one and to follow it so maybe I will be more systematic. But which one? I have seen many books, my favorites are English Grammar in Use, Grammar and Vocabulary for FCE, Cambridge Grammar for FCE and some more… Can you recommend which book (not only from this list) would be best for me? And should I use boks for FCE or CAE, when I want CAE but I am not on FCE level yet?

There is so much books, websites, apps, courses etc. that I am lost in it and I can't use only a few… :(

P. S. Of course I read english books and watch english tv shows.

Hi there,
one question: you want to self-study, right? Because it seems to me that a suitable course would do you more good.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Lucka Skrčená vložený před 8 lety

Hi there,
one question: you want to self-study, right? Because it seems to me that a suitable course would do you more good.

Yes, I want to self-study because I don't have money for course. And I am from a little town where are not any courses. :)

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Sursumka vložený před 8 lety

Yes, I want to self-study because I don't have money for course. And I am from a little town where are not any courses. :)

No problem, I just wanted to make sure. Well, in that case I can recommend this book: Cambridge Grammar for First Certificate – I think you mentioned it, too. But what it suitable for one doesn't have to suitable for the other. I went through the whole book and attended a 10-lesson course just to have a chance to speak before I went to FCE. But the speaking learning part can be done via Skype. English Grammar in Use is fine, it covers all the grammar but the exercises there are not in the format of the exam. It is an okay complementary book though I can think of some better ones.

I was satisfied with http://www.helpforenglish.cz/…-certificate. I think that the book contains all information you need for succesfull passing the exam. As far as I am concerned, not only did I go through that book, but also I attended private English classes twice a week. These classes were good for clarifying some tricky grammar and practising speaking. Anyway, the crucial part is to throw yourself into studying English. On the other hand, it's not necessary to study several hours a day. Studying 30–60 min a day it's pretty enough.

Good Luck :)

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.