Help for English

minulý/předminulý čas

Zdravím :)

Nedovedu si vysvětlit použití minulého prostého času místo předminulého v těchto dvou větách. Mohl by mi někdo, prosím, vysvětlit proč nebylo třeba sáhnout po variantě s past perfect?

• While I was in Nashville, I went to see Scott Borchetta, the head of Swift´s record label, Big Machine. Borchetta, a former Universal executive, left to start his own operation, and Swift was his first client. At the time he signed her, he already had a reputation for being, in the words of the songwriter and producer Robert Ellis, “one of the best radio-progmotion guys in the business.”

Z jakého důvodu je zde pouze minulý prostý čas a nikoliv předminulý? Jedná se zde o chybu použít předminulý? Osobně bych jej preferoval před časem minulým prostým v tomto případě.

• Hey, check,one, two. Hello? Hello, hey. Stadium. Hello? Swift's phone was not getting a signal. It was late afternoon, and she was now in Detroit, preparing to play the first stadium of her tour: Ford Field, which seats fifty thousand people, and, five years ago , hosted the super Bowl. Like all her tour dates, it had sold out in less than five minutes.

Podobně zde. Celé to je vyprávění v minulosti a tudíž bych osobně použil předminulý čas. Co pisatele této knihy mohlo vést k tomu,že mu “stačil” pouze čas minulý prostý? Hádám, že předminulý by byl také v pořádku, ne?

Děkuji.

Answered here. [“Left” is wrong, it should be “had left”. “Hosted” is correct (if the sense is five years ago from the time of writing, not five years before she arrived).]

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od DesperateDan vložený před 5 lety

Answered here. [“Left” is wrong, it should be “had left”. “Hosted” is correct (if the sense is five years ago from the time of writing, not five years before she arrived).]

I don't think the sense of “five years ago” could be “five years before she arrived”, could it?

ago is used to say how much time has passed from the time something happened to the present time

before is used to say how much time passed from the time something happened to a time in the past

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.