Help for English

All good things come to an end and so is 2020.

Zdravím :)

• All good things come to an end and so is 2020.

Je “so is” gramaticky správně? Podle mě to takto lze říci. All good things come to an end (něco obecného, takto to je), so is 2020. (so is the year 2020 that is now coming to an end/getting to its end – proto “is”)

Nahlížím na to správně? Děkuji :)

Ne, to nejde. Máme gramatické non-sequitur / neshoda.

• All good things come to an end. Do /are they? Yes, they do / are. And so does / is 2020. (2020 comes to an end too.)
  • All good things come to an end, and so it is with 2020. [… a tomu tak je i …]
  • All good things come to an end, and so is the case with 2020. (And that is also the case with 2020.)
  • All good things come to an end, and such is the case with 2020. (And 2020 is also such a case.)
  • 2020 was a leap year, and so is 2024. [gramatická shoda]

More examples of so it is with :

Czech architect and glass sculptor Bořek Šípek has always pushed the boundaries of his craft and so it is with his latest collaboration; The most charismatic jazz clubs in Prague tend to occupy charming cellar spaces, and so it is with Agharta.

Díky, já se na větu díval takto:

• All good things come to an end (general statement) and so is (getting to an end, now) 2020.

V první časti přítomný prostý čas a ve druhé zkrácenina “so is”, protože normálně bych použil přítomný průběhový. Je to velká chyba to takto použít?

Ano, je to chyba a není tomu rozumět v tom vašem smyslu. Oba slovesné tvary (tedy “come” a slovesný tvar po “so”) se musí k sobě gramaticky hodit. Když řekneme “so is”, muselo předtím být “coming” a ne “come”. Jde (jestli se nepletu) o jakousi elipsu.

• All my friends are coming and so does is she (rozumí se “coming”).
  • None of my friends smoke and neither is does she. (smoke)
  • I'm speaking English and so does is she. (speaking it)
  • I speak English and so is does she. (speak it)
  • All good things come to an end and so is does 2020. (come to an end)
  • December is coming to an end and so is does 2020 (coming to an end)
  • All of us are wearing a face mask and so is does she. (wearing one)
  • I always obey the night curfew and so is does she. (obey it)

Dobře, děkuji vám za příklady a celkové objasnění!

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.