Help for English

only

Z úkolu od studenta (srovnání klasických knih a e-knih):

On the other hand, you don't need to buy paper books. You can only borrow them from the library. They are better for sight and of course, they are more traditional. You don't need to recharge them.

Možná řeším až zbytečné nuance, ale z nějakého důvodu mi ONLY v této kombinaci prostě zní zvláštně. Navíc mi přijde, že může vytvářet nezamýšlený význam typu “můžete si je půjčit jenom z knihovny”. Lépe by mi tu znělo třeba SIMPLY nebo i JUST, ale to ONLY mi tu úplně nesedí.

Sdílí někdo tenhle názor?

Ano, je to přesně tak, jak píšete. “Only” tam nesedí, má tam být “just” nebo “simply”.

See BBC Learning English:

Just/only

First, I ‘just’ want to say thanks for your question. Or perhaps I could say it like this – I ‘only’ want to say thanks for your question. Can you hear and understand there is a difference in meaning in those two sentences? The first means I want to thank you, and the ‘just’ that I slipped in there doesn’t really add any meaning. It does give my sentence a polite and informal tone though. The second sentence using ‘only’ means I want to thank you but I don’t want to say anything else after that.

A nakonec “just” použijeme, když k něčemu přidáváme důraz. Chceme něco zdůraznit a říct „prostě, jednoduše“. V tomto významu můžeme “just” nahradit slovíčkem „simply“. (English Hacker)

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.