Help for English

(A) massive Russification

Ahoj,

zajímalo by mě, zdali bude v následucící větě před spojením „massive Russification“ člen neurčitý, nebo nulový. Vím, že podstatné jméno „Russification“ je sice normálně nepočitatelné, ale v některých případech, pokud jsou rozvita nějakým přídavným jménem, se abstraktní podstatná jména nepočitatelná gramaticky chovají jako počitatelná podstatná jména a přibírají člen neurčitý.

Ultimately, however, Alexander III, after his father's assas­sination in 1881, adopted a decidedly more nationalist course, which resulted in [a] massive Russification and Jewish pogroms.

Děkuji předem za případnou odpověď.

A massive russification in the wording of the given sentence here sounds out of place. A native speaker wouldn't put the article in.

Ultimately, however, Alexander III, after his father’s assas­sination in 1881, adopted a decidedly more nationalist course supported by his minister Nikolai Pobedonoscev, which resulted in massive Russification and Jewish pogroms. (springer)

Děkuji moc, Dane! A je pak nějaký důvod, proč je člen neurčitý v těchto případech?

1. Who is afraid of a friendly capitalism?
  2. He has always supported the idea of a united Europe.

Jak capitalism, tak Europe jsou přece také podstatná jména nepočitatelná.

In 1 and 2, we're talking about 2 different types of the noun: a friendly capitalism (not, for example, an unfriendly, not an extreme, not an unfettered capitalism), and a united Europe (not, for example, a divided, a fragmented, a regionalist Europe).

In the „massive Russification“ example, I think we feel that we're not talking about a type of Russification. „Russification“ is felt (in the absence of any other descriptor) to be a process, not (in the context in which it occurs) to be a defined action with a start and a finish, thus making it countable as a type.

I can only offer these explanations as a native speaker with a natural feel for the way articles are used. I didn't have to learn any „rules“. You may get a more helpful answer from a Czech (or Slovak) speaker.

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.