Help for English

Soutěž o encyklopedii Davida Crystala

Komentáře k článku: Soutěž o encyklopedii Davida Crystala

Super kniha

Tato kniha je super. Vlastním ji asi 2 roky. Koupil jsem si ji na základě zde uveřejněné recenze a nelituju utracených peněz. Soutěže se nezúčastním, nebudu sobec :D. Hodně štěstí ostatním!

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od ramonis vložený před 13 lety

Re: Re: audiobboks

Jo aha, já jsem to právě moc nepochopil.

Re: Re: Re: audiobboks

Já zase nechápu, proč je v úvodu „najděte 5 zajímavých poznatků“ a v článku „napište nějakou zajímavost“. Tak jich má být 5, nebo stačí jedna?

English words borrowed from Czech

There are (at least) 5 words in English borrowed from Czech. It is: howitzer, pistol, polka, robot and Semtex.
Krysstal.com
I have heard schnitzel and noodle, too. :-D

čepička

Teda Marku, chvíli jsem tu nebyla a Vy jste se stačil tak krásně vyparádit. To je hezké!!! :-D
Honem jsem si kontrolovala i moji ikonku. Co kdyby náhodou… :-D

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od georgia vložený před 13 lety

čepička

Teda Marku, chvíli jsem tu nebyla a Vy jste se stačil tak krásně vyparádit. To je hezké!!! :-D
Honem jsem si kontrolovala i moji ikonku. Co kdyby náhodou… :-D

Re: čepička

Jinak na tu nálož letošních soutěží a odměn a článků to jste opravdový Santa, tolik toho tady ještě před Vánoci nebylo.
Jste čím dál lepší. Gratuluji.

In English, there is just one word that is pronounced the same way although the four last letters are removed – QUEUE :-)

OOKKEE

Do you know some english word with three successive repeated letters?
There are some words of this kind with hyphen, such as hoof-footed or sweet-toothed, but only one word good recognazible without hyphen too.
And this word is: BOOKKEEPER.

(source: oxforddictiona­ries.com)

I've just found out that in old English the word with meant ‚against‘ (in opposition to). This meaning is still preserved in some phrases, e.g. to fight with someone (I had a fight with a friend of mine.)

Source (1a)
merriam-webster.com/dic­tionary/with?show=0&t=1­291448973

Do you know what is interesting about this sentence?

„The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.“

Well, it uses every letter in the English language.

(Other fun facts not only about the English language can be found on indianchild.com/we­ird_informati­on_humor.htm)

Do you know that,
„Almost“ is the longest word in the English language with all the letters in alphabetical order?
So now you know it 8-)
(indiastudychan­nel.com/resou­rces/29731-INTERESTING-FACTS-ABOUT-ENGLISH-LANGUAGE.aspx)

„Underground“ is the only word in
English that begins and ends with the letters „und“.

(fun-with-english.co.uk)

Did you know that there are some words in English which sound like numbers in Czech when pronounced by Americans?

Can you find these numbers in this sentence?

This cake tastes awesome with the chestnuts!

Source: My friend Katie Taylor, currently studying Czech in Prague.

The word „tragedy“ comes from Greek language. It is compound from two words meaning „goat song“.
(all-fun-and games.ca)

Australian English

I´m studying English in Australia right now and sometimes it´s a little difficult for me to understand Australians. Besides different pronunciation of some words and different accent, Australians like to abbreviate and shorten words and use a lot of slang. I would like to share the most common with you.
Aussie = Australian
Oz = Australia
Kiwi = New Zealander
G'Day = hello, good day
mate = friend, buddy
barbie = barbecue
brekkie = breakfast
lollies = sweets, candy
outback = remote part of Australia
BYO = unlicensed restaurant where you can Bring Your Own alcohol
Good on ya = well done

And lastly, the most frequently used expression
No worries! 8-) = No problem. Forget about it. (expression of forgiveness or reassurance)
(source: my own experience)

Did you know that the word „set“ has more definitions than any other word in the English language?

(etni.org.il)

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.