Help for English

Soutěž o encyklopedii Davida Crystala

Komentáře k článku: Soutěž o encyklopedii Davida Crystala

The Old English used to be very complicated. It used inflection more than today´s English. English is more simple nowadays thanks to William the Conqueror who conquered Great Britain and brought there French language. Since 1066 English became language of ordinary people, noble and educated people spoke only French. That led to the simplification of rules in English. The original English words from Old English are those that refer to things of daily needs and activities in the Middle Ages. Sometimes we can find some synonymes, both of different origin (e.g. child (Old English), infant (French)

source: lectures of Úvod do jazyka

In Illionois (US), it was illegal to speak English. The only language that was officially recognized was American. But the 1923 law was changed in 1969 because residents of the state ignored it and used English anyway.
(pbs.org/speak/se­atosea/offici­alamerican/en­glishonly)

A word „cleave“ is the only english word with two synonyms, which are withal antonyms. The words are: „adhere“ and "separate?.

(nevedeljsem.cz)

I love BBC´s Keep Your English Up To Date. You can read a lot of interesting articles there. One of them is definitely article about word Spam. I?ve never think about why we called unwanted emails spams, and it have really funny history. Spam was originally a tinned meat in 1930s. So why and how from tinned meat it become Spam in the meaning of unwanted emails?
Monty Python (satirical comedy show in 70s-80s) had a sketch where they had spam with every meal on the menu in restaurant. So they had for example vegetable and spam, eggs and spam, spam and spam. They started to sing a song about it and it became famous. So from this time spam actually started to be anything unwanted and after internet came along Spam started to mean ads and other horrible emails you have usually no interest to read.

And I have to write one more, because after I read about this new word, I use it pretty much. Chugger was invented in Britain. It?s used for people who on the streets are asking you to support something by giving them money. You know for some hospital, or people in need, for poor children etc. There are hundreds of different things they are asking us to support. And in Britain they started to call them Chuggers. It?s blended word from charity and mugger. Mugger is someone who wants to rob you or attack you, so chugger is not a nice word, but come on aren?t you sometimes annoyed by this people. I am, especially when I meet them few times in one day, and every time I walk around them they stop me.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od MonasMoon vložený před 13 lety

I love BBC´s Keep Your English Up To Date. You can read a lot of interesting articles there. One of them is definitely article about word Spam. I?ve never think about why we called unwanted emails spams, and it have really funny history. Spam was originally a tinned meat in 1930s. So why and how from tinned meat it become Spam in the meaning of unwanted emails?
Monty Python (satirical comedy show in 70s-80s) had a sketch where they had spam with every meal on the menu in restaurant. So they had for example vegetable and spam, eggs and spam, spam and spam. They started to sing a song about it and it became famous. So from this time spam actually started to be anything unwanted and after internet came along Spam started to mean ads and other horrible emails you have usually no interest to read.

And I have to write one more, because after I read about this new word, I use it pretty much. Chugger was invented in Britain. It?s used for people who on the streets are asking you to support something by giving them money. You know for some hospital, or people in need, for poor children etc. There are hundreds of different things they are asking us to support. And in Britain they started to call them Chuggers. It?s blended word from charity and mugger. Mugger is someone who wants to rob you or attack you, so chugger is not a nice word, but come on aren?t you sometimes annoyed by this people. I am, especially when I meet them few times in one day, and every time I walk around them they stop me.

Re:

I forget to write the source bbc.co.uk

Uncopyrightable is the only 15 letter word that cam by spelled without repeat a letter.
www.etni.org.il

the most common word in English

The most common word in English is the.

source: Herbert Puchta and Jeff Stranks: English in Mind

therein

There is a seven letter word in the English language that contains ten words without rearranging any of its letters, „therein“: the, there, he, in, rein, her, here, here, ere, therein, herein.
zdroj:antimoon­.com/forum/t80­.htm

The third language in the world

The third language in the world
English is the third most common language in the world whem we speak about native speakers (after Mandarin Chinese and Spanish). But when speak about native and non-native speakers together is English probably the most spoken languagy in general.
(en.wikipedia.org)

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Kačka vložený před 13 lety

therein

There is a seven letter word in the English language that contains ten words without rearranging any of its letters, „therein“: the, there, he, in, rein, her, here, here, ere, therein, herein.
zdroj:antimoon­.com/forum/t80­.htm

Re: therein

Bernard!!!

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od tiberia vložený před 13 lety

Re: Re: Re: audiobboks

Já zase nechápu, proč je v úvodu „najděte 5 zajímavých poznatků“ a v článku „napište nějakou zajímavost“. Tak jich má být 5, nebo stačí jedna?

Re: Re: Re: Re: audiobboks

Jo, to by mě taky zajímalo. Jdu to smazat.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od ramonis vložený před 13 lety

Re: therein

Bernard!!!

Re: Re: therein

Yes, Bernard Black himself indeed!

Googolplex

The largest number in the English language with a word naming is a googolplex. This number is equal to 10 to the power of a googol (=10^(10100))

zdroj: en.wikipedia.or­g/wiki/Googol­plex

q

Try to read the letter Q loudly.
And now try to read the word QUEUE.
This is probably the only word in English which you read the same way if you leave out last four letters.

(world-english.org/fac­ts.htm)

Interesting English

There are two interesting words in English. The first is ?Stewardesses? it is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand. And the second word is the longest syllable word in English is ?screeched?.

(www.indiastudychannel.com/)
:-)

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.