Help for English

TELEVISION

Jak se prosím řekne zapnout/vypnout televizi?

swich on (the) TV × swich off (the) TV
turn on (the) TV × tunr off (the) TV

A dívat se na televizi?

watch (the) television
watch (the) TV

Jde mi zejména o ty členy. I v různých učebnicích jednou člen namají a pak zase ano …

switch on/off – se členem, zapínáte přístroj, je to obyč. podst. jméno
watch – bez členu, nesledujete přístroj, ale vysílání.

WATCH THE TV by mohlo leda znamenat, že jste si pořídili televizi a bojíte se, aby vám ji nikdo neukradl a proto ji hlídáte, máte ji na dozoru, dohlížíte na ni.

V různých učebnicích se myslím v tomto nerozcházejí. To je dané, kdyby to měli jinak, měli by to špatně.

Děkuji. =)) Ale třeba v pracovním sešitě „Project“ stojí věta: I often read car magazines, and always watch motor racing on the TV, too.

správně je on TV

Ahoj,

v příkladové větě ve výkladovým slovníku Cambridge (odkaz připojuji níže) je příkladová věta:

At night, I like to watch the television.

Z jakého důvodu je zde použit určitý člen “THE”?

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/…see-or-watch?…

Děkuji za případnou odpověď.

Watch the television is not impossible, but it's not recommended – see the Ngram. I'm surprised to see this example in the Cambridge dictionary, and if I had been the proofreader, I would have queried it.

I can think of two explanations why a speaker might say watch the television:

• (i) he's not thinking about watching TV as a general activity, he's thinking about the particular TV he has in his house or bedroom, and in that sense it's comparable to “watch my television”, in that it refers ownership of the activity back to the speaker – a (sort of) dative of experience, it personalises the experience, he visualises himself watching his own TV. Arguably (??), it might be said to reflect the si in koukám si na televizi – yes, not very common but still possible (I think) in Czech.
  • (ii) the speaker is old, maybe about 70 years old. “Watch the television” used to be standard usage up to about the early 1960s. Or it's regional or countryside dialect.

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.