1. Crime - can it be stopped?
- NO, because crime has always been there.
- NO, because there will always be people who commit crimes.
- NO, because people are envious and evil and want more for themselves.
2. What leads people to committing crime?
- lack of money
- drugs and alcohol
- economic crisis
- mental issues
- problems at school, work
- bad political system
- family problems
- "bad" friends
3. Why are more young people getting involved in crime nowadays?
- influence of "bad" friends
- need for money (drugs, alcohol)
- they want to be heroes in their friends' eyes
- bad upbringing
- what are the typical teenager crimes / crime-related issues?
mugging, fighting, underage alcohol drinking, drug abuse, shopliftig, gambling
4. How do drugs and alcohol contribute to increasing crime? Give examples.
- People under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol are more aggressive and they often don't know what they are doing
- Drugs and alcohol change people's behaviour, they don't think reasonably, and they need money for it.
5. What can be done to stop crime from increasing?
- talking about drugs and alcohol issues
- more hobbies and duties in people's free time
- harder punishment
6. Are prison sentences an effective punishment for criminals? Why?
For some criminals prison is bad - they don't get on with other criminals. Some of them are having a good time - they can watch TV, do sports...
No, community service is better. / Community service is an easy penalty.
Yes, it's right to take their freedom. It's a cruel punishment for a man.
7. Could other forms of punishment work better than prison? If so, what?
Criminals should suffer the same way their victims have.
- what do you think about the death penalty?
- what do you think about punishment in the form of community service?
Community service: we think that it's good because criminals have to do something for society.
Death penalty: we think if somebody kills, he should die, too.
8. What do you expect from the police concerning crime and protection?
- More interest concerning criminality - some of them are indifferent.
- I expect better protection and help, more interest.
What punishment should the following people get?
a) A ten-year-old child who has committed 8 burglaries in six months.
- community service and therapy
b) A thirteen-year-old girl who has been caught shoplifting. She stole a jumper.
- financial penalty and hanging her photo in the shop.
c) A fifteen-year-old boy who went joy riding and killed an innocent pedestrian.
- he should be sent to a remand home.
d) An eighteen-year-old boy who mugged an eighty year old woman.
- community service; help her with housekeeping