Help for English

solve X sort out

This is going to be my chance to .............­.....any difficulties.

1. sort out
  2. solve

Zajímá mě, jestli můžu do této věty doplnit i “SOLVE” a bude to správně. Děkuji

Ano, řekl bych že ano.

“Solve” is (grammatically) acceptable – see here. However resolve sounds better to my ear, and note that “chance to solve any difficulties” gets only 5 hits (only on language forums) on Google, but Google didn't find any examples of anyone using it in real life. Why? Because “solve” in collocation with “difficulties” doesn't sound idiomatic.

Sort out is the better (because it's more idiomatic in that collocation) choice in your example.

Resolve difficulties zní dokonavě (vyřešit/dořešit). “My chance to …” zní spíš dokonavě – deal with conclusively.

See also: What’s the difference between ‘solve’ and ‘resolve’?.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od DesperateDan vložený před 4 lety

“Solve” is (grammatically) acceptable – see here. However resolve sounds better to my ear, and note that “chance to solve any difficulties” gets only 5 hits (only on language forums) on Google, but Google didn't find any examples of anyone using it in real life. Why? Because “solve” in collocation with “difficulties” doesn't sound idiomatic.

Sort out is the better (because it's more idiomatic in that collocation) choice in your example.

Resolve difficulties zní dokonavě (vyřešit/dořešit). “My chance to …” zní spíš dokonavě – deal with conclusively.

See also: What’s the difference between ‘solve’ and ‘resolve’?.

Ngram shows that “sort out any difficulties” is actually a little less common that “solve any difficulties”

Hmm. Looks like a difference in usage between BrE and AmE then.

It may also be relevant that “sort out” is informal and possibly less likely to occur in books.

Solve

Sort out → resim chaos (pracoviste, damska kabelka, sklad, problemy, …)

Solve → vim co resim (konkretni polozky v kabelce, skladove polozky, osobni/vyrobni problemy, …)

Resolve → vyreseno

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.