Help for English

as long as + will?

Pěkný den přeji 🙂

Časové as long as:

• I'll stay here as long as you need me to.

Ve významu pokud:

• I'll do the cooking as long as you do all the cleaning.

Tak či tak, ve druhé části by nikdy (?) nemělo být will/budoucí čas.

Je tomu tak opravdu u as long as vždy? Vsadil bych boty, že jsem v jedné z učebnic will po as long as zahlédl.

Dle rodilců je will po as long as v pořádku* – jedná se však o jev hodný následování? Po různých fórech bych několik vět našel a zní dobře, ale nevidím v použití will přidanou hodnotu.

*Například:

• As long as he will come back to me, I am a happy kid.
  • I thought it was good as long as this would be the place he'd always come back to. (to samé akorát v minulosti – je zde tedy would místo will)
  • As long as you'll be here to supervise them, it's okay.

Děkuji!

We use as long as to refer to the intended duration of a plan or idea, most commonly referring to the future. We always use the present simple to refer to the future after as long as:

• We are very happy for you to stay at our house as long as you like.
  • I’ll remember that film as long as I live. Not: … as long as I will live.

As long as or so long as also means ‘provided that’, ‘providing that’ or ‘on condition that’:

• You are allowed to go as long as you let us know when you arrive. (Cambridge)
  • As long as he will come back to me, I am a happy kid.
  • I thought it was good as long as this would be the place he'd always come back to.

Out of context, it's not clear what these two sentences above are intended to mean. They're poorly formulated and use incorrect tense sequences.

• As long as you'll be here to supervise them, it's okay.

The „will“ (expressed by the contracted form you'll) is understood to mean „are willing“. It means „za předpokladu/pod podmínkou, že budeš ochoten“. It doesn't refer to the future („… tak dlouho, jak …“). Alternatively, „as long as you'll be here“ can be understood in a conditional (not a future) sense as explained in emsa Věty podmínkové 16.23.43:

Spojka on condition that se zčásti pociťuje jako suma svých složek, což se projevuje v tom, že se věta jí uvozená může chápat též jako přívlastková (vztažná po substantivu condition), v níž neplatí omezení o užívání futura, srov.

• I'll tell you on condition that you won't (vedle don't) tell anyone. Řeknu vám to pod podmínkou, že to nikomu neřeknete.

(V případě jako I told you on condition that you would keep it to yourself [Řekl jsem vám to pod podmínkou, že si to necháte pro sebe] jde ovšem pouze o větu vztažnou.)

But there's no need to use „as long as you'll be here“. „As long as you're here …“ is standard usage.

See as long as + will/going to? (Word Reference).

As long as you'll be here to supervise them, it's okay. The „will“ (expressed by the contracted form you'll) is understood to mean „are willing“. It means „za předpokladu/pod podmínkou, že budeš ochoten“.

Dane, je to podobné/stejné jako toto? https://www.helpforenglish.cz/…re-they-will Pro toto použití „will“ zatím nemám cit. Nikdy mě nenapadne, že by mohlo být použito ve významu „be willing to“.

I told you on condition that you would keep it to yourself.

Bylo také možné: I told you on condition that you kept it to yourself?

Ano.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Ritter vložený před měsícem

As long as you'll be here to supervise them, it's okay. The „will“ (expressed by the contracted form you'll) is understood to mean „are willing“. It means „za předpokladu/pod podmínkou, že budeš ochoten“.

Dane, je to podobné/stejné jako toto? https://www.helpforenglish.cz/…re-they-will Pro toto použití „will“ zatím nemám cit. Nikdy mě nenapadne, že by mohlo být použito ve významu „be willing to“.

I told you on condition that you would keep it to yourself.

Je to podobné jako WILL a WOULD v podmínkových větách. 🙂

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Franta K. Barták vložený před měsícem

Je to podobné jako WILL a WOULD v podmínkových větách. 🙂

Lze vůbec v češtině vyjádřit rozdíl mezi:

1. As long as you're here to supervise them, it's okay.
  2. As long as you'll be here to supervise them, it's okay.

??

Zkusil jsem si vzít na pomoc příklady z vlákna (dole odkaz), ale zde je každá věta naprosto originál, proto se raději dotazuji.

https://www.helpforenglish.cz/…re-they-will

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.