Help for English

GOT v americké angličtině

U jednoho článku se rozpoutala diskuse s Rudou, který tvrdí, že se GOT v americké angličtině používá výhradně ve významu ‚pořídil jsem si něco, sehnal jsem‘. Zde můžeme v diskusi pokračovat a nerušit tak ostatní.

Příklady GOT v seriálu Dawson's Creek (běžná hovorová angličtina, většinou to mluví američtí středoškoláci)

you have got to stop living from the neck up (význam MUSET)
You've got to be kidding (muset)
I got away with my life… (fráz. sloveso GET AWAY WITH)
You've got it all wrong. (have got – mít)
Who's got time for that? (opět HAVE GOT)
I got sane and everybody else went crazy? (GET + příd. jméno – změna stavu)
The room got dark again (opět GET + příd. jsméno)
I didn't have to stay long, because I got better. (opět GET + příd jméno)
Okay, you got me. (=dostal jsi mě, načapal jsi mě)
It would look very bad for the Logans if you got heat stroke… (dostat nějakou nemoc)

Mohl bych pokračovat. Ještě pár z knihy Michaela Crichtona (americký současný spisovatel):
Liz got back in the front seat (GET + místo – vyjadřuje pohyb)
got behind the wheel (opět GET + místo)
See if he's got any identification at all (HAVE GOT – mít)
After they got lunch (= had lunch)
He got up again, walked across the room… (GET UP – vstát, postavit se)
Got tired of granpa grabbing the remote (GET + příd. jméno – změna stavu)
…fiddling with the wires until he got it working (GET sth -ing – přimět něco k něčemu, přimět někoho k něčemu)
…was the highest praise anyone ever got from him (GOT sth – dostat, získat)

Už mě to nebaví, mohl bych pokračovat dál a dál. Doufám, že toto stačí. Obě skupiny púříkladů pocházejí z autentických amerických zdrojů.

http://en.wikipedia.org/…_differences#…
Excerpt:
„In BrE, have got or have can be used for possession and have got to and have to can be used for the modal of necessity. The forms which include got are usually used in informal contexts and the forms without got in more formal contexts. In American speech the form without got is used more than in the UK. AmE also informally uses got as a verb for these meanings, for example, "I got two cars,“ „I got to go“; but these are nonstandard and will be considered sloppy usage by most American speakers."

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/…0082183.html
Excerpt:
„In everyday British English speech have got is used to show possession: I've got twenty pounds. In American English and in more formal British English have is used alone: I have only five. In formal British English, questions and negative statements use have: ‚Have you enough money?‘ ‚No, I have not‘. In American English do have is used: ‚Do you have enough money?‘ ‚No, I don‘t' or ‚No, I don‘t have any'.“

„Got“ is not only used in the „toting“ sense, it can otherwise be used … but it's a tricky business, even for a native English speaker. When dictionaries refer to „informal“ or „nonstandard“ English … translate this to mean… bad English. That is why I suggest that ESL students just omit the word until they can pick up an ear for when to use it.

It's good that you picked „Dawson Creek“ as an example. This show is named after a small Canadian City in the north, peopled with uneducated primary industry workers. Thus they pepper the script with bad English to give a feel for the type of town it is. Michael Crichton writes a best seller every six months. His audience is the great unwashed … thus he also might pepper his books with down & dirty speech manerisms to appeal to his audience.

If you find „got“ in an Ian McEwan book … I can guarantee that it will be used correctly.

http://esl.about.com/…aa110698.htm

Excerpt:

There are two forms to express possession in English. Have or Have got

Do you have a car?
Have you got a car?
He hasn't got any friends.
He doesn't have any friends.
She has a beautiful new home.
She's got a beautiful new home.

While both forms are correct, have got (have you got, he hasn't got, etc.) is generally the preferred form in British English while most speakers of American English employ the have (do you have, he doesn't have etc.)

To tady ví většina lidí, že HAVE GOT preferuje britská angličtina, zatímco v americké je jen HAVE. To učím už v prvním ročníku na gymplu, že zatímco Brit se většinou zeptá HAVE YOU GOT? a Američan DO YOU HAVE?. To je ale jen jeden jediný význam, o kterém tu byla řeč. A přesto jsem případy HAVE GOT našel hned prvních dvou amerických materiálech.

Ty tady taky tvrdíš, že když někde řeknou, že to je INFORMAL, tak je to něco podřadného… to je nesmysl. Je to stejně podřadné, jako používání I'M místo I AM a I DON'T KNOW místo I DO NOT KNOW. Samozřejmě v psané angličtině, obzvlášť ve formální, se tyhle zkrácené tvary nepoužívají, ale v mluvení snad nikdo normální neřekne I DO NOT KNOW. Ale zdá se, že ty dáváš těmto tvarům (nezkráceným) přednost, viď?

Ale fakt mě pobavily tvoje poznámky o Dawson's Creek a Michaelovi Crichtonovi. :-) Jasně, všichni jsou hlupáci…

Ian McEwan (Saturday)

His niece took drugs, got drunk…
Usefully for his line of work, he's also got the hands.
I've got to get this song ready.
She got control of her voice
said that if he ever got the call, he'd make use of evolution.
because they got into an argument with a man who turned out to be a Party official
he may have got this wrong

a to jsem teprve na začátku… :-)

„Something in her that village life in rural north Nigeria kept buttoned down was released once she started at her local Brixton comprehensive. She took to the music, the clothes, the talk, the values – the street. She had attitude, the vicar confided while his wife was trying to settle Andrea on the ward. His niece took drugs, got drunk, shoplifted, bunked off school, hated authority, and “swore like a merchant seaman”. Could it be the tumour was pressing down on some part of her brain?“

Without scanning Google for the rest of the day I just put your first quote into context.

Used brilliantly. I trust Ian's use was just as brilliant in the other usages.

There's nothing brilliant about using GOT DRUNK. :-)
Ale věděl jsem, že ten první případ použiješ abys tím dokázal to své…

When someone gets drunk, you don't say HE GOT DRUNK? Oh, I guess not. You'd probably say HE CONSUMED AN EXCESSIVE QUANTITY OF AN ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE. :-)

Yes. If she's from Brixton … she „got drunk“. If she's from Chelsea she drank too much. „She took to the music, the clothes, the talk“. Get into it a bit!

I read „Saturday“ a few years ago so I certainly can't remember direct quotations & trying to pull them up on Google is a bit of a nuisance … but if I tried to put them in context … I do recall he that makes Perowne a philistine when it comes to literature & there was a rather unsavory character Baxter. I'm quite sure that McEwan ties in his bad grammar to these two propelling factors in the book. That what makes his writing subtle & fabulous.

As for your comments on „formal English“ … please pray tell … what is „formal Czech“ versus „informal Czech“? English is no different … either you speak properly or you don't. The fact that many people don't speak properly has no bearing on the matter. Saying „I axed you a question“ is still not correct even if 10% of Americans say it.
:-)

Pan Marek Vít se už naštval a už píše taky anglicky. :-D

:-)

Maybe you just don't understand the basic concept. INFORMAL STYLE is nothing wrong, nothing inferior. In Czech, I normally use the informal style in about 90 percent od every day situations. Nobody looks down on me, nobody thinks I'm an uneducated slob.

People use the informal style in two ways, one is perfectly correct, like using contractions (I've been, don't, isn't) or using GOT :-) The other is used although grammatically wrong, such as your example with AXED, or sentences like I AIN'T GOT NO TIME, I BEEN…, SHE DON'T… etc.

YOu should learn to distinguish between the two. Things are not just black and white. Nobody teaches students these incorrect phrases. However, students will be in contact with ENglish speakers, and they will need to know how to use the informal style. Otherwise they won't understand a thing these Americans and British people say, they won't understand the language used in movies, songs etc.

I just have no idea why you are persisting in creating a category that doesn't exist in the English language. There is no such thing as formal or informal language to an English speaking person.

„I've“ or „doesn't“ are perfect English and a person going to school in an English country is never advised that this is „informal“.

Neither is there ever an appropriate time to extend contractions & speak „formally“ saying „I have“ or he „does not“. Saying things either way is perfectly fine.

You may like these categories … but they don't exist in the actual English speaking world.

It IS black & white … it's either proper English or not. And contractions are perfect English.

And please tell me your examples of formal & informal Moravian-Czech!
:?

Then there is so much you have yet to learn. :-)

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.