Help for English

Anthony Burgess: A Clockwork Orange

Komentáře k článku: Anthony Burgess: A Clockwork Orange

Re: the book

I do like this book too, the same applies to the movie, Kubrick did a great piece of work on ACO. I had read the book before I saw the movie and I can hardly decide what is better. I adore both. However, if you like dystopia, I´ve written other review concerning this topis – G. Orwell´s „Nineteen Eighty-Four“, which has been waiting to be publish. Coming soon! ;)

Terrific

Dobrý den,
chtěl bych se zeptat. Myslel jsem si, že slovíčko „terrific“ má spíše pozitivní náboj – něco jako „úžasný“. V následující větě mi to příjde spíš v negativním smyslu slova. Děkuji

… it's better for him to suffer the punches than feel the terrific sickness that creeps over him any time …

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od honyk vložený před 16 lety

Terrific

Dobrý den,
chtěl bych se zeptat. Myslel jsem si, že slovíčko „terrific“ má spíše pozitivní náboj – něco jako „úžasný“. V následující větě mi to příjde spíš v negativním smyslu slova. Děkuji

… it's better for him to suffer the punches than feel the terrific sickness that creeps over him any time …

Re: Terrific

podle slovníků má negativní náboj. V hovorové angličtině se používá ve smyslu VELMI POZITIVNÍM. Nevím, jak to tady autorka myslela.

Ahoj, měl bych dotaz k větě v článku „… his stay in prison is basically not covered in the film, but there is a scene from Alex's arrival to the prison…“ Proč je zde po podstatném jménu arrival použita směrová „pohybová“ předložka „to“ a ne „polohová“ „in“?

Je to (klasická česká) chyba.

• … but there is a scene from Alex's arrival to at the prison… –

„In“ might be possible, depending on exactly what the scene portrays.

If the scene shows him being taken out of the prison van and into the prison (the focus is on the moment of arrival), it's „arrival at“. If the scene shows what happens when he is already inside the prison after his arrival, it's „arrival in“.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od DesperateDan vložený před rokem

Je to (klasická česká) chyba.

• … but there is a scene from Alex's arrival to at the prison… –

„In“ might be possible, depending on exactly what the scene portrays.

If the scene shows him being taken out of the prison van and into the prison (the focus is on the moment of arrival), it's „arrival at“. If the scene shows what happens when he is already inside the prison after his arrival, it's „arrival in“.

Děkuji za potvrzení, Dane. Ještě mě v souvislosti s touto „problematikou“ přišla na mysl skladba „Arrival to Earth“ od amerického hudebního skladatele Steva Jablonskeho, která zazaněla ve filmu Transformers. Předpokládám, že v názvu je předložka „to“ z nějakého důvodu také chybná. Je to tak?

‚Arrival to Earth‘ seems to be only music, there are no words. We don't know if the person/thing arrived on Earth. If not, they can't say „on“ Earth, and you can't say "arrival in or at Earth, so perhaps the person who thought up the name had no other option.

In any normal usage, arrive to is wrong..

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.