Help for English

Rada s překladem

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od američanka vložený před 10 lety

People who are forced to move away from their homes (displaced). My huge Fronek dictionary says for “displaced person (after war)”: bezdomovec, vysídlenec, vysídlená osoba.

Yes, that's true. I just think “bezdomovec” or “vysídlenec” may not fit into the context. Considering there were bombings and missiles, I'd say the people there were survivors. But in a way, they became the homeless.

I don't like “bezdomovec” either – does “uprchlik” work in the context?

Děkuji! Asi bude nejlepší přeživší ..... Toho uprchlíka asi nepoužiji, musela bych to napsat asi jako::

a lidé, kteří se z důvodu války stávají uprchlíky/bez­doomovci se starají o děti a oběti znásilnění – ale to mi příjde divné .....

děkuju!!

Tak a mám tu další věc …

We also MARSHALED schoolteachers and parents in the endemic areas to encourage children to wash their face, which they had never thought of doing before.

Vůbec nevím, jak v tomto kontextu slovo přeložit, ve slovníku jsem si našla, že je to řadit, uspořádat, zavést …

Napadlo by něco někoho? Nařídili by asi bylo přehnané …

Děkuji

We also MARSHALED schoolteachers and parents in the endemic areas to encourage children to wash their face, which they had never thought of doing before.

První význam ve slovníku OALD uvádí definici: to gather together and organize the people, things, ideas, etc. that you need for a particular purpose
http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/…sh/marshal_2

Takže věta znamená, že jsme také shromáždili skupinu učitelů a rodičů…

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od turn_around vložený před 10 lety

První význam ve slovníku OALD uvádí definici: to gather together and organize the people, things, ideas, etc. that you need for a particular purpose
http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/…sh/marshal_2

Takže věta znamená, že jsme také shromáždili skupinu učitelů a rodičů…

It has a slightly stronger meaning than just “gather together” – there's a definite military feel to the word. You often see the collocation “to marshal (one's) forces”.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od američanka vložený před 10 lety

It has a slightly stronger meaning than just “gather together” – there's a definite military feel to the word. You often see the collocation “to marshal (one's) forces”.

Yes, I know But I figured in this case the word has a figurative meaning. I guess there's nothing military about gathering teachers.

But I understand the military connotation is just there 

I think here it's just to give a sense of urgency or importance.

Thank you

Nevěděl by si někdo rady s tímto?

The decimal system was automatically utilized as TABULATION PROCEEDED.

Díky

Našel jsem si kontext:

They had devised a computer system using a row of nails, all of the same height, and had stacks of coins with perforated centers; exactly ten coins would fit on a nail, so the decimal system was automatically utilized as tabulation proceeded.

Jednotlivé mince měly dírky, a byly dávány na hřebíky. Na jeden hřebík se jich vlezlo maximálně 10.

Takže desítkový systém byl automaticky využit, jakmile byly mince naneseny na hřebíky.

tabulation = zanesení do tabulky (v tomto případě na hřebík)
proceed (sloveso) = začít něco dělat, přikročit k něčemu (v tomto případě bych přeložil jako “provedeno”, “jakmile bylo zanesení mincí na hřebíky provedeno”

Věřím ale, že někdo by mohl přijít s lepším překladem, jen jsem se snažil vysvětlit podstatu, o čem se tam píše. 

Děkuju moc

Mám tu další věc, kterou nedokážu přeložit:

In the Coptic booklet the apostle Paul's declarations that women should keep their heads covered, not cut heir hair or wear jewerly, and refrain from speaking out during public worship or assuming a position of leadership are explained as admonitions to address local disturbances by rude and unruly women at services in some particural early church

Chápu to jako, že když už zastávaly ženy edoucí pozici, bylo to vysvětleno jako trest za jejich chování ? ..... ale asi je to úplně blbě :/ děkuju moc předem 

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.