Help for English

WOULD pro opakované děje v minulosti

Komentáře k článku: WOULD pro opakované děje v minulosti

Ve filmu unstoppable si nedovedu odůvodnit

Every night, i'd come home, tell her about my day, where i'd been, what i hauled, who annoyed me.

Every night, I'd (= I would / I used to) come home, tell her about my day, where I'd (= I had) been, what I (had) hauled*, who (had) annoyed me.

*(mluví strojvedoucí)

“Where I had been” requires the past perfect because of the reported speech backshift. For the next verbs, the past perfect (had hauled, had annoyed) is not absolutely necessary, although it's obviously not wrong. The unnecessary repetition of “had” makes the sentence clumsy, especially in conversational sty­le.

Nevím, s čím máte tady problém. Možná jste si neuvědomil, že první I'd znamená I would, druhé – I had? Jinak to být ani nemůže: where I would been, what I would hauled nejsou v žádném případě možné.

Podobně (direct speech): “Today I've been to Znojmo, where I had an important meeting, and then to Brno, where I had lunch.”

(Reported speech) He told me he had been to Znojmo, where he (had) had an important meeting, and then to Brno, where he (had) had lunch.

Děkuji moc za váš čas. Mám problém s reported speech a souvětími .

Dobrý den,

mohu se zeptat, proč je ve větě “Geraldine used to wait for Jim as he came home after work.” Proč zde nemůže být užito “would”? Děkuji.

Ale může. Ovšem nemáme kontext. :-(

Geraldine and Jim spent many months getting to know each other before Jim finally popped the question.

• Geraldine used to wait for Jim as he came home after work.
  • Geraldine would wait for Jim as he came home after work.

Then they would take / used to take / took the dog for a long walk together along the country lanes …

WOULD totiž používáme pro činnosti, které někdo v minulosti dělával.

• When they were still married, they would go out almost every night.
  • He would always bring her flowers on her birthday.
  • My grandparents would sometimes take us on vacation with them. (HFE)

Je to někde konkrétně řečeno/psáno, že nemůže být užito?

Děkuji Vám. Věta je vyňata ze cvičení v jedné učebnici. Máme na výběr buď “used to” anebo “would”. Cvičení předchází jakýsi příběh o tom, jak se dva mladí lidé i přes nepřízeň osudu vzali a vydrželi spolu dodnes… Věta ze cvičení poukazuje na text – “I regularly … waited (can change to both used to or would) on the path when he passed by (can change to both used to or would) on his way home from work.” Zde v článku můžeme použít obě varianty, nicméně v následujícím cvičení pouze “used to”, proto mě to zmátlo..

Aký by bol presný význam tejto vety :

The vehicle would not have the capacity to make the journey on one tank of fuel.

(pre would not have sth) : opakovaná činnosť v minulosti, ktorá ale nevyjadruje typickú vlastnosť predmetu, ale nejakú jednorázovú špecifickú okolnosť.

To vozidlo nemávalo kapacitu na to, aby prešlo ten úsek na jednu nádrž s benzínom.

Přesnému významu bychom mohli rozumět jedině z kontextu, např.:

• Every week the factory in Košice used to send a vanload of furniture to the customer in Strasbourg but it always had to stop along the way to fill up because the vehicle would not have the capacity to make the journey on one tank of fuel. (Opakovaná činnosť v minulosti: dodávka neměla/nemívala kapacitu …)
  • If you wanted to send a vanload of furniture from the factory in Košice to the customer in Strasbourg, you'd [= you would] have to stop along the way to fill up because the vehicle would not have the capacity to make the journey on one tank of fuel. (Kondicionál, jednorázová okolnost: kdybyste chtěli vypravit ..... protože dodávka by neměla kapacitu …)

Podobně:

• When I wanted to go to the supermarket during the Covid pandemic I would go early to avoid the crowds – (Pokaždé) když … chodíval jsem …
  • If I wanted to go to the supermarket during the Covid pandemic I would go early to avoid the crowds – kdybych chtěl … zašel bych …

Je to celá príkladová veta zo slovníka, teda bez kontextu a mne to pripadalo, že označuje skôr stav ako opakovanú činnosť v minulosti, čo by bolo proti gramatickému pravidlu. Ten kondicionál (váš druhý variant) to nebude.

The vehicle would not have the capacity to make the journey on one tank of fuel. On the basis of that single sentence in isolation (i.e. out of context), it's impossible to say what the intended sense of “would” is.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od AdrianaXXX vložený před 3 lety

Je to celá príkladová veta zo slovníka, teda bez kontextu a mne to pripadalo, že označuje skôr stav ako opakovanú činnosť v minulosti, čo by bolo proti gramatickému pravidlu. Ten kondicionál (váš druhý variant) to nebude.

Pokud jde o kvalitní slovník, pak je věta uvedena v nějaké sekci, která je předem nadepsána a vysvětlena, jako např. tady:
https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/…nglish/would?…
:)

Mne sa daná veta významom javila ako označenie stavu a nie opakovaná činnosť, (auto nie je v stave prejsť na jednu nádrž), kde by potom mala byť verzia s didn't used to have a nie would not have. Preto mi nevychádzal význam.

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.