Help for English

Co jsou to 'determinátory' (determiners)

Komentáře k článku: Co jsou to 'determinátory' (determiners)

• For the past few days …
  • For the few past days …

Proč? Protože. There are some guidelines about word order, but often it's just “intuition”.

An intuitive code governs the way English speakers order adjectives … (slate.com)

But according the guideline should be the first the determiner (few) and than the adjective (past). Why should be used the intuition and not the clear grammar rule here?

English grammar is descriptive, not prescriptive. Such rules as there are simply try to describe how the grammar is used, see ‘Understanding Prescriptive vs. Descriptive Grammar’ (source). The Czech and Slovak grammar systems are prescriptive.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od AdrianaXXX vložený před 2 lety

But according the guideline should be the first the determiner (few) and than the adjective (past). Why should be used the intuition and not the clear grammar rule here?

Pardon, ale nedá mi to. Ve Vašem příspěvku by to chtělo hodně vylepšit slovosled (ostatní “drobnosti” jsou tučně):

But according to the guidelines, the determiner should be/go first and then the adjective. Why should intuition be used here, and not a clear grammar rule?

Neberte to nijak zle, myslel jsem, že by Vás to třeba nasměrovalo.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Daniel Müller vložený před 2 lety

Pardon, ale nedá mi to. Ve Vašem příspěvku by to chtělo hodně vylepšit slovosled (ostatní “drobnosti” jsou tučně):

But according to the guidelines, the determiner should be/go first and then the adjective. Why should intuition be used here, and not a clear grammar rule?

Neberte to nijak zle, myslel jsem, že by Vás to třeba nasměrovalo.

Ďakujem veľmi pekne. Som naozaj veľmi vďačná. Môj problém bol, že som bola tak nažhavená nájsť odpoveď, že som to napísala spontánne a bez prepnutia mozgu do angličtiny, ako mi prišlo. Sama vidím, koľko “hlúpych” chýb som narobila. Ešte raz Vám ďakujem.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od DesperateDan vložený před 2 lety

English grammar is descriptive, not prescriptive. Such rules as there are simply try to describe how the grammar is used, see ‘Understanding Prescriptive vs. Descriptive Grammar’ (source). The Czech and Slovak grammar systems are prescriptive.

Thank you very much Dan, it´s something I have heard for the first time and have had no clue about it.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od AdrianaXXX vložený před 2 lety

Thank you very much Dan, it´s something I have heard for the first time and have had no clue about it.

That's actually one the first things I tell my students – then they are not unpleasantly surprised later. :)

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.