Help for English

Interpunkce: velká písmena v angličtině

Komentáře k článku: Interpunkce: velká písmena v angličtině

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Pufflie vložený před 9 lety

Dobrý den, několikrát jsem viděla I (já) s malým písmenem. Většinou to bylo na plakátech (např. mi doma visí how i met your mother) nebo třeba v nápisech na tričkách atd. Je to tedy špatně a uděláno tak třeba schválně, nebo se malé písmeno dá v určitých výjimkách použít?

Předem děkuji :-)

To je tak schválně, aby to vypadalo ‘cool’. Je to ale nespisovné a v textu (knihách, novinách, časopisech…) to neuvidíte. Často to používají např. i v textech písní v bookletech u CD. Tam se nějak konvencí nedrží. Stejně jako občas píší celý text kapitálkami, klidně napíšou naopak celý text malými písmeny.

Důležité ale je: NIKDY toto nepoužívejte např. v písemném projevu ve škole, v dopisech apod. V neformálních mailech nebo na chatu si ale samozřejmě člověk může dělat, co chce.

Dobrý den, myslíte si že jsem zvolila správě velká písmena v názvu pro mou práci?Pozemková kniha města Štramberk z let (1636) 1676 – 1824. Výběrový katalog. Sales Register of Štramberk Town for the years (1636) 1676 – 1824. Selective catalogue. děkuji za jakékoliv připomínky

ahoj vsem, dovolte mi prosim dotaz, jak spravne napsat s ohledem na velka a mala pismena nazev zaverecne prace

The issue of alcoholism in the family

Dekuji za odpoved.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Ing. Tomáš Smutný vložený před 7 lety

ahoj vsem, dovolte mi prosim dotaz, jak spravne napsat s ohledem na velka a mala pismena nazev zaverecne prace

The issue of alcoholism in the family

Dekuji za odpoved.

Asi bych volil velká písmena u významových podstatných jmen, tedy:

The Issue of Alcoholism in the Family

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Daniel Müller vložený před 7 lety

Asi bych volil velká písmena u významových podstatných jmen, tedy:

The Issue of Alcoholism in the Family

Díky, udělám to tak.

Narazila som na esej o športoch, v nej majú všetky názvy športov veľké písmená. Je na to nejaké odôvodnenie ? Ďakujem za odpoveď.

No, there's no justification for using capital letters for the names of sports if these words occur in the body of the text (and not, for example, as headings or as part of a name), so:

Outside of work, Rory is a keen sports fan and regularly plays football, tennis, and badminton. Rory also enjoys watching sports such as rugby and cricket and tries to go to see his team Sale Sharks play. ((lancashireju­niorprofessio­nals.co.uk)

Using capital letters for the names of the sports here would be a glaring mistake.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od DesperateDan vložený před rokem

No, there's no justification for using capital letters for the names of sports if these words occur in the body of the text (and not, for example, as headings or as part of a name), so:

Outside of work, Rory is a keen sports fan and regularly plays football, tennis, and badminton. Rory also enjoys watching sports such as rugby and cricket and tries to go to see his team Sale Sharks play. ((lancashireju­niorprofessio­nals.co.uk)

Using capital letters for the names of the sports here would be a glaring mistake.

Thank you Dan, but your example is no official essay. It´s just some kind of an article. I´am considering sitting the IELTS exam and the right punctuation is one of the 4 ctirerion for the grammar range and accuracy. If I use it wrong in the essay, I will be penalised.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od AdrianaXXX vložený před rokem

Thank you Dan, but your example is no official essay. It´s just some kind of an article. I´am considering sitting the IELTS exam and the right punctuation is one of the 4 ctirerion for the grammar range and accuracy. If I use it wrong in the essay, I will be penalised.

punctuation = commas, full stops, spacing…
spelling = capital letters, s/z, c/k etc.
🙂

There is no difference between the spelling in an article and in an essay that I know of.
Could you give us a link to the one you're mentioning? 🙂

More about capital letters (but those articles will tell you the same as the one we have here):
https://www.englishclub.com/…-letters.htm
https://www.twinkl.cz/…pital-letter

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Franta K. Barták vložený před rokem

punctuation = commas, full stops, spacing…
spelling = capital letters, s/z, c/k etc.
🙂

There is no difference between the spelling in an article and in an essay that I know of.
Could you give us a link to the one you're mentioning? 🙂

More about capital letters (but those articles will tell you the same as the one we have here):
https://www.englishclub.com/…-letters.htm
https://www.twinkl.cz/…pital-letter

Hi Franto, thank you very much for your answer. So I am sending it to you as a private mail. (It´s a payd software I bought and by making it public I could break author´s rules.)

I've seen the scans, and that website's use of capital letters in the names of sports is simply wrong. The rules of punctuation don't change, whether it's a newspaper article or a „formal essay“, just as they don't change in Czech either.

Names of competitive sports such as baseball, basketball, and football are lowercase, … (dailywritingtip­s.com.)

Sports, games, and other activities that are not trademarked or copyrighted are not capitalized (except where one contains a proper name or acronym, or begins a sentence). (wikipedia)

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od DesperateDan vložený před rokem

I've seen the scans, and that website's use of capital letters in the names of sports is simply wrong. The rules of punctuation don't change, whether it's a newspaper article or a „formal essay“, just as they don't change in Czech either.

Names of competitive sports such as baseball, basketball, and football are lowercase, … (dailywritingtip­s.com.)

Sports, games, and other activities that are not trademarked or copyrighted are not capitalized (except where one contains a proper name or acronym, or begins a sentence). (wikipedia)

Thank you, I have contacted the author of the product and this is his response :

" The reason they can be capitalised is because they are categories of the graphic. However, you can also choose not to capitalise them. "

Could it be in this case OK (as the categories in a chart in an essay) ?

No.

Two natives, two highly educated linquists, two contradictory views on basic English grammar. My úbohí študenti angličtiny ! 🙂

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.