Help for English

Co jste se právě naučili?

man something to work at a place or be in charge of a place or a machine; to supply people to work somewhere

cleanse (v) /klenz/ – to clean your skin or a wound

Slovo jsem sice znal, ale výslovnost jsem měl špatně zažitou.

in the wake of (something) – následkem (v důsledku), hned po.

An inquiry has been set up in the wake of the crash.TTT *1

Překlad:
  1. Hned po nehodě bylo zahájeno vyšetřování

red-handed – při činu

They caught the poachers red-handed.TTT

steal – v/plížit se

steal away – odplížit se

During the party, the lovers stole away to the garden.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Josef vložený před 9 lety

in the wake of (something) – následkem (v důsledku), hned po.

An inquiry has been set up in the wake of the crash.TTT *1

Překlad:
  1. Hned po nehodě bylo zahájeno vyšetřování

takhle se to zapamatuje ještě líp :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?…

takhle jsem se kdysi naučila frázi make yourself at home = udělejte si pohodlí, buďte tady jako doma:

A judge in a German court addresses an American soldier, “Do you admit that you shot the bartender, beat the cashier, robbed two customers, looted the cashbox and stole six bottles of whiskey?” “Yes, I admit it,” confesses the soldier, “but I´m not guilty.” “Then who is guilty?” asks the Judge. “The bartender – he told me to make myself at home.

put past

I wouldn't put it past him.TTT

foregone conclusion – (předem) jasná/hotová/roz­hodnutá věc, záležitost.

It was a foregone conclusionTTT

SIDE WITH SOMEONE – někomu stranit, nadržovat

SIDE AGAINST SOMEONE – být proti někomu zaujatý

A stoge – cigáro :O

Užití that po I don't know místo if, ve významu jestli, zdali.

I don't know if I am the right person for it.TTT
I don't know that I am the right person for it.TTT

not know that (informal) used to express one’s doubts about one’s ability to do something (Oxford Dictionaries Online)

I've just come across a new word I didn't know – jackknife – If you have something attached to your car (for example a trailer), sometimes, especially in winter, it may happen that you lose control over it and it goes in a completely different direction. https://www.google.cz/search?…

wrought is mostly used in books, but I had no idea it was the past tense of work, though the old form.

face the music = (informal) to accept and deal with criticism or punishment for something you have done
The others all ran off, leaving me to face the music.

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.