Help for English

How i participated in Pratchett competition...

Hello everyone, i just want to improve my english by telling you how i participated in the Pratchett competition.
I check H4E almost every day for a year or so, but i had not been registrated since i saw the article about the Pratchett competition. The truth is i hate registrations, you know, sharing confidential information and being searchable on the net etc.

Well, but i registrated and wrote down all the questions and answers and finally, this evening I switched on my computer, saw the last question and the instructions for sending answers and – bang! What i find out when i look into my bag was that i forgot a list of previous nine questions and answers at work on Friday. Bye bye Pratchett…
Lets discuss if there is anyone sillier than me :-).

I missed the fourth question and that's why I had to wrap it up :-)

Same as honyk, but the questions were from 1 to 10 :-( :-D

Honyk: If you missed just one, why did you wrap it up???? You only needed nine out of ten!

Hmm, I didn't know. What a pity :-( Next time I have to read the rules more carefully.

to lenka.spiklenka:
It's a pity that you forgot all previous questions at your work. It has happened to me once as well. But there is an easy way how to avoid such situations. I use Google Docs for storing all questions from HFE competitions. You can access your documents from any location (your home, your work,…) providing the fact that you have an access to the Internet. Now it's unlikely for me to forget one single question. I must recommend it.

That is really a pity. I had not been registered before this competition came out as well but the price was very tempting. But don’t worry – for me the result was the same – I guess I am not that kind of person who wins very often :-) .

On the other hand I really enjoyed the game – some quite long time ago I read Colour of Magic both in Czech and than in English. Afterwards I sort of forgot Pratchett and HFE reminded me of that superior humor of Pritchett’s. I will surely go to the library to borrow some book by him. Unfortunately the foreign language section here is not supplied enough with books I would be interested in so I suppose I will have to manage with Czech version only.

So, dear Lenka, Good luck (and more luck :-)) in future competitions!

BTW – After thinking it over I made up my mind and have just ordered the book from englishbooks :-D

Which one did you order?

The first one – Coulour of Magic – I read it ages ago – so I thought It would be nice to refresh it. I have the feeling it is not the last book ordered from there :-).

I just got FIFTH ELEPHANT today… but first I have to finish SALEM'S LOT by Stephen King.

I have not read any King in English. Most of the books I read in original were crime stories (e.g. A.Christie) or some classic stuff (Fitzgerald, Hemingway etc.), a bunch of Tom Clancy’s… I do have some decent collection of books at home actually. Pratchett is a little challenge for me. May be 10 years ago, before the whole euphoria with movies started, I read Hobbit and than The Lord of the Rings series. It was very interesting and convinced me not to be afraid of more demanding texts. Once I got caught by the story, the language was not too hard.

The only thing I am not happy about is, that here it is not easy to get some books in English – the library has very small offer and you cannot find them in local bookstores either. I would not really think of ordering an Engl. book via internet if there was not for that banner in your competition :-).

guenuche: you probably mixed Pratchett up with Tolkien but it doesn't matter, they are both great :-)

Honyk: I am quite sure I did not :-D . All I said was that I HAVE ALSO READ Tolkien. Sorry, may be I was not clear enough. I wanted to say that Pratchett was probably going to be different level of vocabulary (such as Tolkien). What is your experience with literature in English? What do you like to read?

My fault then. Sorry. There seems to have been misunderstanding :-) I haven't read much in English. I mean not many books in total because I started to take English seriously just two years ago. However, I've been reading quite intensly in the last year. I started reading Harry Potter's books at the beginning of the current school year and this morning I started reading the last of seven books. For me it's like everlasting marathon :-) After I finish it, I hope, there would be time for reading something else.

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.