Help for English

How fast do you read?

When you are reading an English book, how fast do you read?

My top speed is 30 pages per hour. What to do to increase the reading speed? Will it be sufficient just to read as many books as possible?

well, the thing is that every book has different pages and every books reads differently. It's not just the format, it's the font size, spacing, and also what and how it is written. Some books read very slowly, there is little action and the sentences are very complex. Then there are books with a lot of action, short, simple sentences…

that's why some books are called PAGE-TURNERS.

You can't compare for example THE LORD OF THE RINGS and, say, TWILIGHT.

I totally agree with that in the sense that one is amazing and the other … well, you know :-D

:-)

Yeah, I see your point.

Twilight is very easy to understand so in a fraction of time more pages can be read.

Yes, it depends on the book you are reading.
Well, I have another matter to discuss about. Are you also reading Czech books? As for me, I took to reading just English books. Czech ones have never drawn my attention as much as English ones did.

I'm of the same opinion. I don't remember what was the last time I read a book in Czech.

Yeeh, but that is also a thing I am really dreaded. Until my leaving exams or maturita, I don't know how to put it, I am supposed to get read 25 books. So far none. A teacher is scaring us that if your haven't ready at least 15 books so far, we are in the world of s..t. I don't assume it will do to say to committee that I have ready only English books. No one will care.

Well, if there's a New Maturita thing next year, it's going to be a problem. Though I don't care that much. I'll read as many books as possible in English and those written in Czech, well, I will have to read them as well, reluctantly, though :)

I would like to see their faces if you told them that you have read all books in English :) In literature in school, I've never had the guts to tell my teacher that… :)

Well, the speed of reading really depends on many factors.
In the first place it is the format of the book (the amount of lines per a page, the size of the letters) and secondly the style of the book (the dialogues are much easier to read than narration).

The last book I read was The Hunger Games, which was very easy to read, the vocabulary was quite simple (my speed was about 25 p/h).
Currently I am reading 1984 by George Orwell and this book is the case in point of the different style of writting – almost no dialogues (my speed of reading is about 15–20 p/h).

I have never measured, but all in all the same opinion as honyk.

books as easy as harry potter or books by dahl i can read as fast as one page in two or three minutes (or faster). i read a lot and i even managed to read marcel proust (remembrance of things past). there are two novels i havent managed to read (without frequent use of a dictionary) and they are: Lolita by Nabokov and Citadel by Exupéry. what was also difficult was Morgoth's Ring by tolkien. Morgoth's Ring and Citadel is difficult to understand generally, in terms of meaning.. has anybody here managed to read lolita or citadel? and what novel do you consider the most difficult to read?

Yes I read Lolita and it was a real challange (check my read-list in my profile). I struggled with vocabulary from the very beginning and after a few pages I gave up looking for every unknown word in the dictionary. There were way too many. This book made me realize that my level of English is far and away from perfect and that there is still a lot to learn. I know, however, that Nabokov (even though not native english speaker) is considered as one of the most difficult authors to read.

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.