Příspěvek od fernando 1 vložený před 4 lety
Zdravím.Je správně There's no persuading him ?Děkuji moc
Ano, správně. There's no persuading him = It's impossible to persuade him, he can't be persuaded, he won't let himself be persuaded, there's no way you can persuade him.
Jaký dudlík když ŽÁDNÝ nechce? (…)
Naše malá za žádnou cenu nechce dudlík. Zkusila jsem asi už 5 druhů.. Dáví se když se ji ho snažím udržet v puse, nenechá se přemluvit, jen ho plive ven. Our little girl absolutely refuses to have a dummy [AmE pacifier]. I've tried about five different kinds. When I try to hold it in her mouth, she chokes. There's no persuading her, she just spits it out.
- He's [= he is] stuck [uvízl] in the snow on the motorway, so there's no telling / there's no knowing / there's no saying when he'll get home.
- There's no accounting for taste.
- There's no denying that Mozart was a prodigy.
- Federer has won every one of his last ten tournaments and there's no stopping him. (není nikdo, kdo by ho …)
- There's no escaping the fact that some airlines are safer than others.
- There's no going back. Není cesty zpět. (v přeneseném smyslu)
This “no [VERB]ing” idiom is only used in a handful of set expressions. You can't make up your own.
- I've lost my key and there's no opening I can't open the door.