Unit 06: Telephone English
Vítejte zpět v našem kurzu obchdoní angličtiny. Předejme rovnou slovo Michaelu Skodovi a jeho příběhu.
Hello, welcome back. How are you all? Do you still remember the letter I got from the recruitment agency? It was a very general letter, I was getting worried that the letter was meant to reject me. Well, they actually called me today, which is fantastic, and we arranged a job interview in London for next week.
I even recorded it for you to listen to. Unfortunately, though, I managed to delete it so I can only offer the transcript for you to read. Here it is:
- Hello. Is that Mr Skoda?
- Hello, Mr Skoda. My name is Janet Green from Jobs Board Consulting. I have Mr Chester calling. May I put him through?
- Er, yes, of course.
- Thank you. I'll connect you.
- Is that Michael Skoda?
- Yes, speaking.
- Hello, Mr Skoda. This is Steve Chester. I'm calling with regard to your interest in the position of Business Development Manager. Do you have a few minutes?
- Well, I'm afraid it's rather inconvenient, Mr Chester. I'm at my dentist's right now. Can I call you back?
- That won't be necessary. I can call again, let's say in two hours?
- Erm, yes. At 3 pm I will be definitely back home.
- Ok, I'll talk to you later then. Goodbye, Mr Skoda.
- Yes. Goodbye, Mr Chester.
- Michael Skoda.
- Hello, Mr Skoda. This is Steve Chester again. Can we talk about our job offer?
- Yes, of course. I am sorry about before, but I really couldn't talk.
- It's no problem at all, Mr Skoda. So, we received your CV together with a covering letter last week and I would like to arrange an interview with you. There are basically two options. Either we can do a telephone interview, now or sometime this week, or you could come to our place and we could talk in person. I would definitely appreciate it if you could come in person, but I'll also understand if you can't. The thing is that I need to do the interview with you by Wednesday next week at the very latest.
- Oh, I also think that meeting in person would be much better, but I have to make sure there are still some flights available.
- You don't have to do that. My assistant's checked that for you and there are still some seats on all flights this week and next. Would Monday be convenient for you?
- Oh, thank you. It's very kind. I'm not working at the moment and I don't have any plans for next week, so I'm able to come.
- Great. The flight departs at 9 am and you should arrive in London at about 11 am. I would like to arrange an appointment with you for 1 pm. Do you think you can make it?
- Erm, I will probably come to London on Sunday and check into a hotel. I must say that I wouldn't feel too comfortable with an interview right after a flight. If that's ok with you.
- Sure, whatever's best for you. Can I still keep the time of the interview at 1 pm though?
- Of course, I will come to London on Sunday and I will be available any time on Monday. I can come on Monday morning if you like.
- That won't be necessary. I will see you on Monday at 1 pm then. Do you have our address or should I arrange for you to get the contact details.
- No, that's fine. I have everything I need.
- OK, I will give you my assistant's phone number in case there should be any changes. Do you have a pen?
- The number's 0044 658 987 234.
- So it's 0044 658 987 234.
- That's right.
- Ok, thank you very much for considering me for the position and I look forward to seeing you next Monday.
- Yes, see you next Monday. Goodbye.
There you go. I must say that I'm really excited and can't wait for the interview even though I am a bit nervous, of course. I'll let you know how it went as soon as I can. Until then, bye bye.
Tento krátký vstup nám opět posunul Michaelův příběh trochu dopředu. Než se dozvíte, jak to s Michaelem bude pokračovat dál, čeká vás šestá lekce, která se bude věnovat telefonování.
Nejprve, jako vždy, rozebereme užitečná spojení z tohoto textu v kapitole Word and Phrase Analyses, pak nás čeká kvíz a poté se dostaneme k hlavní kapitole celé lekce ‘Jak telefonovat’. Na závěr budete opět doplňovat text vhodnými slovíčky. Samozřejmě že půjde o přepis telefonátu.
Pro ty z vás, kteří o telefonování v angličtině obecně moc neví, zde máme starší článek Základy telefonování.