Help for English

UNTIL vs. BY

Komentáře k článku: UNTIL vs. BY

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Pavel Kařízek vložený před 13 lety

As well as

Myslel jsem jednoduše, zda je možné nahradit as well as not only? :-) Nějak jsem se v tom sám ztratil, ale teď už snad vím.

Re: As well as

Ale mně jste v tom udělal ještě větší guláš. Opravdu vám nerozumím. Tak znovu:

Nejprve jste psal, že AS WELL AS = UNTIL NOW, na což jsem nechápavě reagoval.

Pak jste psal, že AŽ DOSUD = STEJNĚ TAK JAKO, čemuž také neruzumím.

A teď říkáte, že AS WELL AS = NOT ONLY

Opravdu nechápu…

Dotaz

Dobrý den,

chtěl bych se zeptat, jak se řekne „až teď“ . Např. „Píšu Vám až teď.“
Mohu napsat TILL YET ?

Za případnou předem děkuji

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Altik vložený před 13 lety

Dotaz

Dobrý den,

chtěl bych se zeptat, jak se řekne „až teď“ . Např. „Píšu Vám až teď.“
Mohu napsat TILL YET ?

Za případnou předem děkuji

Re: Dotaz

Můžete použít SO LATE nebo třeba ONLY TODAY.
TILL YET určitě ne.

Re: Re: Re: Re:

well.. let´s say it in this way:

a) He works till 5 p.m. every day.

Right. (Explanation: He works the whole day/ from the reporting time to 5 p.m. and not after that.)

b) He works until 5 p.m. every day. (Grammatically wrong and makes no sense! This proves that till and until are not interchangeable.)

This sentence would work, rather:

He works until its 5 p.m., every day.

(Explanation: He works till the time its 5 p.m. Here, there is no reference of the time-period before 5p.m.)

The difference, probably, must be evident to you by now. Contrary to what you and most websites concerning English writing and grammar tell, there is a big (though, hardly noticeable) difference between the two words.

Till- When you use till, you refer to the entire time-period concerned up to the point in time or the point of action

Until- When you have to refer to a point in time, and nothing before that

Maybe we can, very often, use ?Till? instead of ?Until?, but not vice-versa.

?Until? may be regarded as a variant of ?Before?. However, we can never use ?Till? in the place of ?Before?.

I´d like to know your oppinion about that

Re: Re: Re:

Sorry, I don't know anything about ‚till‘ and ‚until‘ NOT having the same meaning.

What do you mean by this sentence?
He works till the time its 5 p.m.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Roman Svozílek vložený před 13 lety

Sorry, I don't know anything about ‚till‘ and ‚until‘ NOT having the same meaning.

?its? just refers to the time = the time is seven (the point) because UNTIL – when you have to refer to a POINT IN TIME, and nothing before that
when you use TILL, you refer to the entire time-period concerned up to the point in time or the point of action all = ALL TIME-PERIOD, you dont say from six until two but FROM SIX TILL TWO
(btw. not from six to two as it was written above (maybe in streets) because if you're dealing with time, the correct preposition is till. If it's for distance, then the correct preposition is to → TIME = TILL ; LOCATION = TO)

my oppinion: until can only be used to a fixed point in time … „being away“ is not fixed (it is process) so there should be „while“ : I will be here WHILE you are away (during the time)

sssv: if you check the dictionary, you will see that the only difference they mention is in the formality of the word. Check it out here:
www.oxfordadvancedlearnersdictionary.com/dictionary/till

If they say it's the same, I believe it IS the same. And that may be the reason why most websites have it „wrong“, too.

By the way, IT'S is spelled with an apostrophe.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od sssv vložený před 13 lety

my oppinion: until can only be used to a fixed point in time … „being away“ is not fixed (it is process) so there should be „while“ : I will be here WHILE you are away (during the time)

OPINION is only spelled with one P. Your opinions are not worth much if we know nothing about you + you misspell basic words.

Lhůta na splnění

Situace: Diplomatická roztržka, zahraniční zástupci mají povinnost opustit zemi nejpozději do dvou dnů.

Je správně: „They must leave within two days.“???

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od Dadacos vložený před 13 lety

Lhůta na splnění

Situace: Diplomatická roztržka, zahraniční zástupci mají povinnost opustit zemi nejpozději do dvou dnů.

Je správně: „They must leave within two days.“???

Re: Lhůta na splnění

ano

By?

Zdravím, chtěl bych se zeptat jestli bych mohl použít předložku by i v případě věty typu
DAL BYCH SI VÍNO (MAX) DO 5 LIBER? by 5 pounds?

Díky

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od tominicek vložený před 13 lety

By?

Zdravím, chtěl bych se zeptat jestli bych mohl použít předložku by i v případě věty typu
DAL BYCH SI VÍNO (MAX) DO 5 LIBER? by 5 pounds?

Díky

Re: By?

ne

Re: By?

ne

Re: Re: By?

A jakou předložku bych měl v tomto případě použít? Díky za odpověď.

Odkaz na příspěvek Příspěvek od tominicek vložený před 13 lety

Re: Re: By?

A jakou předložku bych měl v tomto případě použít? Díky za odpověď.

Re: Re: Re: By?

třeba UP TO

Příspěvky mohou přidávat pouze přihlášení uživatelé. Pokud máte účet můžete se přihlásit.

Příspěvky v diskusi jsou majetkem jejich autorů. Provozovatel webových stránek Help For English za ně nenese zodpovědnost.